Let's hold on this removal. Just make sure you had a clean uninstall for IE6.0 by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and that you then had a clean reinstall of IE6.0 from : IE 6.0 Download
Then make sure you have all the latest IE 6.0 updates from here : Recommended Updates for IE 6.0
Re-installing IE6.0 by using johnnyrotten's or admin's advice should have done the trick. Even though you don't have SP2 on your pc, if you have been installing updates on a regular basis, you have probably got most of the SP2 updates that Micro$oft issues on their SP2 CDROM. It resets the defaults in XP and turns on a lot fo stuff in the firewall. It affects the security settings in IE and OE.
Some questions :
1) Do your web pages only partially load?
2) Do you receive any error messages?
3) Is it just the images not loading?
4) Does IE just stop responding when connecting to a web site?
5) Have you tried setting your Security and Privacy settings?
6) Have you checked your firewall settings for IE6.
7) Connection with server not made?
8) Do you periodically clear your Internet history, temporary internet files, etc.?
9) Have you ran a thorough check for viruses/malware that may affect IE only? See admin's recommendations here : Tools
I may be totally on the wrong track or asking the wrong questions about your problem, but try to give as much information as possible on what exactly happens. I do not have XP currently installed on my pc, so can not give you step-by-step instructions.