Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking Problem

• Please log in to reply

Lupychica

Lupychica

• Pip
  • 8 posts
My computer started having problems a week ago. It wouldn't start. No video output would go to the monitor. I tried switching monitors and taking out my video card. Eventually, I brought it to a store to get it diagnosed. Well, the guy could get to BIOS and said that it was overclocked. So, I thought (stupidly) that I could go into BIOS and reset everything. Well, I can't get into BIOS. My monitor's standby light is on while my computer is on. How can I get into BIOS to reset it?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Lupychica!

I hope the tech didn't charge you anything for just going into the BIOS and not doing what any intelligent technician would do and that is reset the bios for you.

To reset your BIOS back to factory defaults, do the following:

If it won't void any warranty(s) doing so, unplug the power cord from the back of your computer, take off the side panel of your computer and remove the CMOS battery (It's shiny stainless steel about the size of a nickel). Once the battery is out, hit the power button a couple of times. Then after 5 minutes minimum has passed, put the CMOS battery back in, put the side panel back on your computer and plug the power cord back into your computer. Make sure everything is connected as it should be and turn on your computer.

Fenor

Lupychica

Lupychica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks sooo much! It works! I guess I'll donate to this site because it saved me $150.

And yes, the technician charged me $50 for a diagnostic test.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear it! Write this down for possible usage later so you don't have to drive yourself nuts trying to remember what exactly you had to do to fix the problem.

Fenor

Charging $50 for doing what you said the tech did is highway robbery. My shop would of fixed your entire problem for $68.64USD. It's just crazy how some companies take advantage of people like that. :tazz:

Lupychica

Lupychica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, I never really had to go to a shop before. I always bought my computer premade. But, this is a computer I made myself, so I had no one to call.

Now to figure out why it just did a hard reset. :tazz:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Making your own computer is the best (and cheapest) way to go. Most of the cost of a computer is labor and being able to subtract that from the total cost of the computer is huge.

Now for your hard reset problem you just stated. What exactly happened?

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Well, I never really had to go to a shop before. I always bought my computer premade. But, this is a computer I made myself, so I had no one to call.

Well now you have 'someone to call' if you have a problem. So bookmark us and come back whenever you need more help! :tazz:

Fenor

Lupychica

Lupychica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Well, it hasn't happened again...

I was playing music and surfing the web to get some software to protect my computer. The speaker made a loud noise and then, hard reset.

After I get all my software installed, I'll try playing music again...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Let me know if it does it again. If it does we can work on solving that problem as well.

Fenor

Lupychica

Lupychica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Cool, thanks. :tazz: I have the site bookmarked. Thanks so much for your help!