Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

instal.exe doesn't start

• Please log in to reply

drago

drago

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
:tazz:
Hi,
I bet my problem seems to be the smallest one but I am trying to solve it for a week now.

I got this file install.exe which is an installanywhere paradox program which on one of my computer goes through the whole process untill I hit the install button and it hangs there. The only thing that installs is the uninstall folder. Then I have to manualy cancel the installation, otherwise it would just hang there forever. On the other computer (dell 4700 with XP service pack 2) it doesn't even open. When I click on the icon it sends an error message: install.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. The Error Signiture:

AppName:instal.exe, AppVer: 0.0.0.0, ModName: instal.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0, Offset: 000037c0

I don't know what to do? please help. I have also downloaded the newest Java upgrades. And I know that the program is fine, because my friends got it without trouble.

Thank you,
Dave

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the name of the programme

" Paradox DOS was not designed to handle more than 16 Meg of RAM "

1. The installation program fails.
This is simple to workaround. The Paradox DOS add-in installations are very simple. They just copy a self-extracting zip file to your directory and run it. To bypass the installation program, simply:
a. Create a directory where you want to install the program.
b. Copy the files on the disk to that directory (you don't need the INSTALL.EXE file).
c. Run the EXE file with the -d command. For instance, for ParaTrak, simply type at the DOS prompt: TRAK -d
d. You can then delete the EXE file.

2. The program doesn't run.
If the program fails or hangs, contact our support department for a new EXE. We recently compiled new EXE files with the fixed Turbo Pascal bug. The new EXE file can be e-mailed to you for no charge. Contact [email protected] with your name, address, product name, product version, and serial number.

http://www.fmsinc.co...dox/pdoxfaq.htm

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Keith,
Thanks for replying. No it's not DOS, it's Z-brush install anywhere file.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is the link to their forum

http://www.zbrushcen...isplay.php?f=37

Not used the programme so cannot advise you

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Keith, i got at last. I just got another computer with the OS windows 98 and ther it was no problem.

But I have something new, much worse. Considering that you are windows expert, you might help me.
I shut down my computer and after I started it again the XP didn't load. It said: disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. I am messing with it the whole day and I cannot figure it out. I was changing my Bios, by the way it says CMOS, the order of booting C,A,SCSI etc. I tried changing cables, battery and even I replaced the CD-Rom which I think causes the probelm. I also got the 6 floppy repair from windows webpage, but after I run it it ask to for the windows Xp CD. When I put it in it doesn't recognize the cd-rom and ends. I don't know what to do.

My computer: CD-rewritable (yamaha), Zip-drive, 2 same Western digital 15 G hardrives( each has partitions) and a floppy drive. I even tried harddrive with CD-rom alone, it didn't work.
Thanks for help.
Dave

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and go to the set up screen, look for load BIOS defaults, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm and press enter

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have tryied it but it didn't work. The same thing, asking to insert boot disk. I still don't understand how it could happened, because it worked fine this morning until I shut it down.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options

2. Select Safe Mode with a command prompt.

3. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

4. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

5. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I don't even get that far to get to the screen for safe mode. It halts at:

verifying DMI pool data
Disk boot failure: insert system disk and press enter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi keith,
The computer doesn't recognize the cd-rom, at least it doesn't read the setup CD, even after restart. The only thing I got the work is these 6 floppy recovery diskets I downloaded from windows webdite. They get me to the Windows setup blue screen window and ask for 6 floopy's. I get to the same place as you linked me to the blue Welcome to setup screen, where it ask for the CD and then it doesn't recognize the cd drive. What the [bleep]?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC, keep tapping delete until you get BIOS set up, look for boot priority and set this to CD ROM then hard drive, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, put the CD in the drive, press enter, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
it actually got to the part of licence agreement, I press F8 I get to the next screen where it doesn't detect windows XP and by pressing anything it takes me to a screen saying:
A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED, WINDOWS NEEDS TO SHUT DOWN FROM PREVENTING DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER

TECH. INFO.
STOP: 0X00000050 (0XC9EE2666, 0X00000001, 0X807E98D0, 0X00000000)

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I did it in bios but it didn't work. BTW my is called CMOS and has different tabs and screens. I just get this tiny scape to change few letter. Some of them I don't even know what they are. And only few order combination. It looks like: C, CDROM, A or A, SCSI, C

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can usually press the page up key to change the order to CD ROM then C, (which is the hard drive) press F10 to save and type Y to confirm if you change anything

Have you got data you need on the drive