Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

instal.exe doesn't start

• Please log in to reply

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
no, that didn't work, it just gave me one line before the disk boot failure saying: boot from "CDROM: failure"

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You probably need to install the drive to another PC as a slave drive, back up any data you need then wipe the drive

http://www.helpwithp...-hard-drive.htm

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
my computer has two hardrives and I tryied them both seperately. I also tryied a different hardrive from different PC, the same thing. I also found out that my Cd-rom is only working on the slave plug, not on the master. Maybe the whole thing is in those cables.

I also found this, maybe thi is some clue, cause I have CMOS and I thing SCSI hard disk instead of IDO.

Issue:

Hard drive is not being detected when using a boot diskette.

Cause:

Below we have listed reasons why a hard disk drive may not be detected when using a bootable diskette:

Disk drive overlay or other software utility is being used on the hard disk drive.
Hard drive is a SCSI hard disk drive.
Hard disk drive is not properly setup in CMOS.
Hard disk drive is bad, not formatted.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you get the same with a different drive, it is more likely the wiring or the set up in CMOS

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I think the same but I don't know what? Look at this scheme of my cables

Attached Thumbnails

• pc_conf.jpg

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
maybe i should change the master and slave in CMOS but I don't know what to change there

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The link in post 17 shows the connections

Can you see what the drive does in another PC as the slave

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am not sure what should I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See post 17 to install the drive to the other PC, this is to check the drive is OK

If you think it is not so easy, then taking it to a PC shop will be cheaper and quicker than damaging anything

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'll try it.

Advertisements

drago

drago

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I got some results. On of the hard drives anly made funny noise, like trying to load something over and over but the other , i think the one with the C drive and windows files said:
WINDOWS 2000 COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT:
<WINDOWS 2000 ROOT>/SYSTEM 32/NTOSKRNL.EXE

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use the Repair Console tool to replace the backup copy of the System hive from the repair folder. If the Repair Console tool is not installed on your computer, you can run it from the Emergency Repair process:

1. Use the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or the Windows 2000 Startup disk to start the computer.

2. When you see the "Welcome to Setup" message, press R for "repair."

3. Press C to run the Recovery Console tool.

4. Select the installation that you want to repair.

5. Type the administrator password.

6. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following commands, pressing ENTER after you type each command:

cd system32\config

ren system system.old

ren system.alt systemalt.old

7. If you have run the Emergency Repair Disk Wizard from Windows Backup and Recovery tools, copy the backup of the System hive from the %SystemRoot%\Repair\Regback folder.

If you have not run the Emergency Repair Disk Wizard, copy the default System hive from the %SystemRoot%\Repair folder.

IMPORTANT: You need to restore the most recent copy of the System hive. You also need to reinstall any hardware device drivers or programs that run as services that you installed since the last time that you updated your Emergency Repair Disk.

To copy the default System hive, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

copy c:\winnt\repair\system c:\winnt\system32\config

To copy the System hive that was backed up the last time that you ran the Emergency Repair Disk Wizard, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

copy c:\winnt\repair\regback\system c:\winnt\system32\config

8. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER to restart your computer.