Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Norton LiveUpdate

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hey all, hope this is the right forum. I tried looking for one specifically for this problem, and this was the closest I found. I haven't been able to update my virus definitions for the past couple weeks. When I run LiveUpdate it says "LU1821: This update failed because it tried to overwrite a file that was in use. Close all your Symantec applications and run LiveUpdate again." I'm not sure which Symantec applications are running or how to close them. I would appreicate any help you guys could offer. I get prompted by LiveUpdate daily and I can never insall the updates, plus my virus definitions are out of date.

Thanks,
Kevin

P.s. If this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it to the right spot. :tazz:

Advertisements

Hardhead

Hardhead

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts
You are in the wrong forum and a mod will move this post.

Documetation will be found here and the solution will be found here.

I also advise after you finish doing the recommended steps you should also get the latest LiveUpdate program that can be found here. You will have 2 options to install LiveUpdate. Either one is very simple and it will also remove the old LiveUpdate for you.
This will install the latest LiveUpdate version. :tazz:

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
[edit: beat me to it]

Edited by Caine, 06 November 2005 - 12:47 AM.

Chachazz

Chachazz

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts
Thank you Hardhead - nice work;
moving to "applications" forum.

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks for moving this to the appropriate forum. I clicked on the link Hardhead gave me, but it kind of leads me in circles. It tells me to follow the instructions on the error message from LiveUpdate which is This update failed because it tried to overwrite a file that was in use. Close all of your Symantec applications and run LiveUpdate again. However, by clicking on that link it leads me back to the same link Hardhead gave me. I did manage to d/l the new version of LiveUpdate last night but when I try to get the new virus definitions I get the same error message as on the old LiveUpdate. If anyone can help me out with this and actually write the steps necessary to fix this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
You could try what I did and just go for a complete uninstall and start over with a nice clean reinstall from your CD. There's something called SymNRT that can remove all the last awkward traces of NAV if the windows Add/Remove Programs doesn't work.

Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

[edit: that all depends on which version of NAV you're running of course. If you had NAV 2003 or earlier installed on your machine before at any stage you'll need to follow the guide to remove the last traces from that version first.]

Edited by Caine, 07 November 2005 - 09:14 AM.