Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Drive shot, can I reinstall XP on a new drive?

• Please log in to reply

macx

macx

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
By virtue of problems I won't elaborate on,
I think my new drive in my new computer
is now just a paper weight.

I had just installed XP Home, and hadn't
even hooked up to the net yet so it isn't
registered.

Will I have a problem installing that same
XP in a new replacement drive? (due to
registration etc) I've got another drive
in that same computer I could reinstall
everything on till I can get a replacement
for the one I was using for the C drive
with all the apps - but would eventually
like to have XP & all other apps on a
separate physical drive from the remaining
functional drive in the computer now.

If so, there must be some way to do that?
(I know how to physically transfer the files,
I'm talking about registration etc)

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Go ahead and do that, the worst case scenario is a call to activate XP if it does not recognise the new drive

If you install and replace the drive within a month then you can run XP without activating and activate it only when the new drive is in

Product Activation makes a note of the configuration, at the point of activation only

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you've never activated XP, you can do what you like with it which means installing it on as many drives as you want/need to, then just activating the copy on the drive you want to keep and wiping the rest.

But even then if you have activated, then changing the hard drive normally doesn't retrigger activation. You normally only need to reactivate if swap the entire motherboard out, since that itself changes so many things and thus triggers reactivation.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

But even then if you have activated, then changing the hard drive normally doesn't retrigger activation. You normally only need to reactivate if swap the entire motherboard out, since that itself changes so many things and thus triggers reactivation.

Howdy:

Sorry Neil, but the second they install XP on the new hard-drive it WILL need to be re-activated again... The install reads this as a new installation thus requiring activation..

From there, all they need do is follow Keith's advice, call Microsoft, explain what you did and get a new activation code..

If you've never activated XP, you can do what you like with it which means installing it on as many drives as you want/need to, then just activating the copy on the drive you want to keep and wiping the rest.

You do know XP MUST be activated within 30 days or it quits working !!

Murray

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Howdy:

Sorry Neil, but the second they install XP on the new hard-drive it WILL need to be re-activated again... The install reads this as a new installation thus requiring activation..

Yes but the original poster just wanted to install stuff onto it as a temporary ongoing thing until they can get a long term hard drive.

He or she can do that as they wish and then just use Ghost or any other disk mirroring utility to copy the entire thing over to the long term drive.

From there, all they need do is follow Keith's advice, call Microsoft, explain what you did and get a new activation code..
You do know XP MUST be activated within 30 days or it quits working !!

He won't NEED a new activation code and he won't need to phone anybody because if you read the original post, it hasn't even gone online or been registered. Therefore it is unactivated so if the original poster does need to phone MS up on a first activation then I think there's a more important issue to deal with.

As for Activation, XP is still useable in Safe Mode after 30 days so if the original poster just wants to use it as a temporary storage holder, that's not a problem. Plus I dare say the OP's system will be up and running again within a week anyway.

Edited by Neil Jones, 06 November 2005 - 04:06 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
My turn to quote Keith :tazz:

If you install and replace the drive within a month then you can run XP without activating and activate it only when the new drive is in