Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

blue screen of death

• Please log in to reply

korekara

korekara

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a blue screen of death that won't go away. Everytime I start windows normally or with my last known good config, I get that screen. I can only get windows to work in safe mode, and safe mode is really starting to irk me!

The particular BSoD I get is:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Technical Information:
*** STOP : 0x000000D1 (0x00000303, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x00000303)

I looked at the pinned topic on this... I haven't tried upgrading from Windows XP, and I haven't installed any new hardware or drivers or whatever lately. I thought maybe it was a spyware or trojan, because I keep getting a lot of messages from one of my spyware protection programs that trojan.startup something or other is trying to install itself. But I went into safe mode and ran Adaware, Microsoft Antispyware Beta, and TrojanHunter and when I tried to restart normally again I still got the screen.

So my limited computer knowledge is at a loss... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this but if you are not in a rush, check each available restore point to see what was installed and when, if you see anything you didn't install then go to the point just before that, or the day before

1. Restart your computer, keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options

Select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

korekara

korekara

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ah, thank you. I'm actually not in any great rush, so I'll try it tomorrow when it's not 1AM and I'm not tired... I don't want to mess anything up.

Uh... but that's also something I forgot to mention. My system restore is telling me there's no restore points. I hadn't made any myself, nor installed anything lately, but I'm not sure why there weren't any restore points created by the computer. So I don't know, does that matter any in trying to fix the bsod?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It 7 am here

Without any restore points then do the repair

After this, click start then hep and support, undo changes to my computer, it should say system restore is not turned on, click yes to turn it on, this will be useful as you can set restore points before installing anything, such as the updates

You can go to system restore, click system restore settings, then adjust the amount of the drive it can use for system restore

If you have a large drive 120GB and above, you can leave it at the default 12%