Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need a new video card?

• Please log in to reply

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
With a motherboard...

How much is a good one?

Do i have to get a compaq one to work on my pc?

If i install a new mother board, will all my pc documents be on the old mother board?

And can you just give me a brief description about motherboards?

Advertisements

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just seen your latest question.
Basically you are trying to upgrade a computer which was built to a price with onboard graphics - so not designed for gaming.
The problem is that all the components were selected to meet the requirements of the system as sold.
If I give an example. I just looked at a Packard Bell computer which a friend was interested in for photo manipulation. It had 1GB ram, AMD 64 bit 3200+ processor and onboard graphics. This would have easily met his requirements until he decided he wanted to play flight sims. At which point I had a look inside in the shop as it would need a new pci-e graphics card.
It was a microatx case and as such it didn't have a case fan and relied on the power supply fan for cooling. Also the psu was only rated at 250 watts.
The point about this was that adding a very powerful graphics card would have first overloaded the power supply and second probably caused system overheating.
it is very likely that your overall system will accept a mid range graphics card which will run the game but not a high spec one needed for all the eye candy.
As a general rule the ATI graphics cards used to be shorter that Nvidia but I am not sure if that is still true.

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
You can't replace the motherboard as it will invalidate your Widows XP OEM license
What does cpu-z say about your agp slot

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
you could have a look at this calculator which should help with your power supply calculations link

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You obviously arent to hot on your game graphics oldjim, the graphics he has supports those resolutions, what you want is a card capable of rendering the advanced effects on modern games like age of empires 3 those pretty water effects arent easlt rendered on a bottom end card. Also he hasnt stated the size of his case you can mount a microatx board in a atx PC case(not that any normal person would want to but mass pc builders are weird lile that). Like i said use cpu z that will give you the exact model of the mobo you can look it up.
Is it a normal sized PC case or is it a little one this is usually the bg factor on the gfx card you can get, also a new monitor wouldnt hurt the standard for lcd is 1280x1024 res for cheaper ones and 1600x1200 for good ones and resolution makes for sharper looking games.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

Where do i download cpu z?

And when i downloaded it, can it create a report of my system that i can post up here for you to have a loook at?

:tazz:

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
And warriorscot, are you saying that my graphics card is good, but i need one that is capable of rendering the advanced effects like those pretty water effects on age of empires 3?

And do i need a new graphics card or video card to show the renderd effects and advanced effects on age of empires 3?

So i dont need a new pc, but just a new video or graphics card?

What sort of graphics card or video card can i get then?

And if i do get a new graphics or video card, will the graphics be a bit less than the ones on the back cover of age of empires 3?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
google it, it can but its not the best for it and we dont need/want to see all the little details on your pc just the relevant ones which cpu z will tell you. Also whats your case size.

Oldjim

Oldjim

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Warriorscot,
I don't know why you can make that statement. i am very well up on games graphics. The point is that his onboard graphics won't support the game - probably a DX9 limitation but I don't know that for certain as the motherboard is an MSI OEM for Compaq.
The statement about resolutions was in response to the question about needing to replace the monitor.
The point is whether his present system - case/mobo/psu will support a high end graphics card. My bet is that it won't but more info is needed.
Given a free hand and no psu/case/mobo limitations I would recommend a 6600GT for AGP but I don't think his present system will support that.
However since you are now taking over I will leave further responses to you.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No your gfx card is rubbish but it can show decent resolutions no bother it just doesnt do the kind of things a game runs nowadays.

If you get say something like a 6800 ultra the gfx will look like the back of the case, mine do on my pc anyway, assuming there is enough physical space inside the case you can get any agp card you want as long as your PSU is big enough to handle it(there is a label on the psu that will tell you the power output if you dont know it).

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

Ive downloaded the 1.30 version here.

I am on it now and it is telling me loads of information.

What bit of informations do you want me to find out for you?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
mainboard gfx interface.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

I like the Nvidia 6800 ultra card. Is it a video card or a graphics card?

But i don't want to spend £200 of eBay for one.

I really like the Nvidia 6600 or the 6200.

They are selling on eBay...

The Nvidia GeForce 6600 256MB: Here
The Nvidia GeForce 6200 256MB: Here

What one is better?

And what type of graphics will they make age of empires 3 become?

And will my pc support them?

Edited by Allsortshop, 06 November 2005 - 01:31 PM.

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Ok,

Here is a image of ther mainboard section:

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!