Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Do you think Windows XP is better than vista ? and do you think there will be more users with vista than XP ?

Edited by NvidiaDude, 07 December 2005 - 02:19 PM.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
i think vista will flop

oxygenuk

oxygenuk

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
i think xp will have something like a 75% of windows users and 25% will be vista users

i dont like the look of vista as it stands

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I think that many businesses that previously had Windows 2000 will move to Vista just because of their cycle of new computers. Many more people now are buying computers too, so that will also increase the number of Vista users. Vista will also attract people who want to see the new features and who get every Windows version that comes out. I think that as time goes on, more and more people will move to Vista.

camaroace

camaroace

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I like the new look of Vista but will the security better then XPs? I might wait and see other users experiences before I decide to go out and buy Vista

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well Mocrosoft isnt really going to give people much choice after a while it will stop selling XP, and as people are almost always buying 64 bit now on new PCs there wont be much point for them getting the 32 bit XP or worse the 64 bit XP. And microsoft will also eventually stop the updates for XP and its will force many corporate and government customers to switch as it has done with XP and SP2.

Also Vista is still in the early betas its not possible to tell what its going to be like exactly alot of software changes drasticaly after beta testing is completed. And the security features are hardly likely to be worse than XP at worst they will be equal and since most users tolerate the security for XP its not going to be its biggest issue.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I think like any other Operating System put out by Microsoft most will move to it some where down the line. Most do now stay with an old operating system, because it will get out dated. Also like Xp now, new programs will only run on Vesta in a few years time.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
im sure linux is going to come into prominance soon as a home user solution...Unless windows comes down in price or a "windows free/cheap edition comes out". Operating system software is just too expensive.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont know its fairly well priced 100 pounds isnt that much that that software is not only essential to the computer running at its maximum potential but you use it everyday you use the pc.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
considering the amount of it they sell and how much it costs to make.....and the fact there are no commercial alternatives.....id say its overpriced...i think redhat could take some of the desktop market atleast for budget pc's if they pushed their product a bit more

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but linux is a real pain and it doesnt have the no brainer everything works with this about XP. And Windows R&D cost not to mention maintenance cost are relativley high. And MCE is only 50 quid only 20 pounds more than suse the easiest to use linux distro(and its still not great).

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
I donno man, redhat i find is easier than suse, and everything usually does work, but then again, that could be because iv used a computer before...i guess we would have to ask someone who has never used a computer before

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, people who have never used say DOS or any of the earlier windows would find even the best linux distros difficult to grasp, you forget how idiot proof windows is.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
depends tho...the GUI of KDE abd GUI of windows 98 are both hard to use without a bit of experimentation, i started on 98, but i may as well have started with kde...hrmm...i need a gunea pig

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
98 was kinda sucky in comparison to what we have now, but back then linux wasnt as nice as it is know, and a GUI was a rare thing especially pretty ones like they have now.. I started on DOS, and i wouldnt have liked to use linux back then at all.