Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Really?? well if you like it, i like windowblinds as well, but it is a huge system hog and detracts from the systems general performance, Aston i like because its got more in the way of features for extra functionality and it omproves your systes speed as it uses fewer systems resources than standard windows not more. That and all the windowblinds extra bits of software annoy me, i used the desktop x lcars skin for a while it was cool.

But dude, Norton, Nvidia AND you still use internet explorer someone must have done a good job when they brainwashed you. lol.

Vista will be good because hopefully it will stop me needing an third party skiniing app and hopefully some sort of widget support.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 December 2005 - 04:31 AM.

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
yeh i do think windowblinds does slow your pc down and i might uninstall and have a go with Aston but i dont know the website

Edited by NvidiaDude, 08 December 2005 - 04:42 AM.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
vista is just a cheap amalgamation of an operating system we often refer to as Mac by the looks of it

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Yeah lol nice say :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Macs and the mac OS are abominable, its awful and ive used windows and OS 7.8.9 and 10 and while ten is an improvemment still not a patch on windows it s only major advantage is the fact it looks better.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
i havent tryed a MAC Computer yet :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
All the better for you, i tried learning my first bit of programming on a mac, not a pleasant experience, we got switched over to PCs and VB and never looked back.

Im looking fordward to the crashing down to a new version of DOS feature to play games, should be good at extending the gaming life of alot of systems.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
are MAC's harder to work on than XP Scot ?

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
well depending on what your doing, theres a difference between using imovie on a mac, and using final cut pro hd. basicly macs are supposed to be the most user friendly, and i agree. on my sisters mac i have used a few times, everything just works.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont find them hard anymore on the odd occasion, they used to be alot worse, bt everything you need is at hand, but good luck to you trying to find anything that you dont use everyday, tweaking the things is a nightmare and advanced settings are a pain in the [bleep], basically apple havent stream lined them because you shouldnt be using it. Its just akward to me windows everything is common sense and at hand if its not just there you can work out where it is, apples can be a pain.

I used to be able to get to 72 windows open before i could find the files i wanted when i used OS 9, it opens a new window for every idividual file and there is a key combo you can push to shut them as soon as you open the next but even the teacher who had been using macs since they were released couldnt find the setting to turn that on all the time.

Thye are just akward for an advanced user, for someone that knows nothing about computers they are quite good, for everything big and commonly used it is very click and go.

Its just akward i find windows alot easier to use especially in more advanced tasks and since im a gamer i obviously use windows all the time and apple just never seemed to get the whole people buy computers to play games as well as internet browsing and media viewing.

Advertisements

apachesrule

apachesrule

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I think vista will soar judging the screen shots it looks like alot of time and effort was put into it!

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
In my opinion the usage patterns of Vista will closely follow those of 2k and xp, which is a slow uptake and then a peak after around 2 years.

This is generally not due to the merrits of the software itself but to agressive marketing techniques employed my MS as they seek to capitlise on their obvious monopoly on the operating system market.

If harware suppliers such as HP and DELL continue to ship their PC's and servers preloaded with windows then of course more and more people will use Vista, not many end users are going to downgrade their OS in favour of an unsupported XP.

in time Vista will be the standard OS in the world of i86, x86 and the emerging 64bit hardware, as have its predessors.

If hardware manufacturer do not aid MS by shipping and somtimes focrfully shipping new hardware with Vista then i do not believe that vista will do quite as well as XP has done for th esimple reasone that the vast magority of end users do not really care what OS they have as long as it works for them.

Most end users regard windows as their "computer" and know nothing else.

if machines are not supplied pre loaded with Vista then the price tag would be enough to deter most people, as a self confessed tight wad i refuse to line Mr Gates pocket with my hard earned cash for his mediocre OS's and will continue to use (in my opinion) the vastly superior (and for the most part FREE) linux distrubutions in their many flavours.

Apple would do well to speed up their development of OSX for PC hardware as it is nicer to look at, caters for the medi a heads with its wooshy windows and fancy menu systems, i'm not a fan of apple either but i do like BSD with when you dive beneath the OSX gui shell is what you will find. I know little about the osx gui shell but get me a cli shell (terminal) and i'm away configuring network interfaces, samba shares etc...

i will not recomend a vista roll out in my corporate enviroment untill i see that MS recognise the need for enhanced admin features such as a cli shell that you can actually do somthing with, a much much much more enhanced scripting enviroment and of course greater protection from the swarms of malware plauging the internet (which i do not blame MS for - they just attract it due to ther monopoly)

From my experience of Vista beta 1, there are NO clear benefits to upgrading to vista at this time. if you like the look then just use a new desktop background ffs.

if Vista sales do not reach projected volumes then you will no doubt see XP become unsupported which will force xp users to upgrade if they have any interest in new features and security.

in short - xp vs vista, doesnt matter, they amount to the same thing, an inferior OS that is the product of a very successfull and quite brilliant marketing capaign spannign the past 20 years or so - it wont last forever, it wouldnt supprise me that in 10 years, the question wil be "suse 20 vs suse 21" and then everyone would hate linus torvald and gatesy will be the hero.

sorry to go off on a tangent, i just had to get that of my chest

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the betas are lacking almost every single groundbreaking feature the os is supposed to have so i see why you may be less impressed.

Vista i think will take off as it is coming in when most corporate computers will be leaving 2000(forcibly evicted by MS) and will be looking for something else and MS will make sure that is vista.

I still love windows, and when you look at its compatibilty and power then its far from mediocre there is still no other OS that can boast its hardware and software compatibilty levels which are only set to increase, as well as debatably ease of use, which when it was first released was fantastic windows was a revolution when it first came out it brought normal people into pc useage.

Vistas major improvement for most will be its improved security, ive been looking over some if its proposed features and they are all pretty excellent, MS make the best OS not because they have an aggresive marketting scheme but they have all of the worlds best and brightest software engineers on the payroll.

Vista will either be the complete take over or it will be the last, but when you look at what it offers and how far behind the competition is i cant see windows sinking into history. Its not the highend programmers that decide what the primary OS of the world is, its joe bloggs on his home PC and his game obsessed children. The corporate scene pays for the development but its not them that picks it its the employees at home who dont want to switch to using less idiot proof OS for working than they do at home.

Vista has some pretty cool features as well that are just completely revolutionary i think the guys at MS must have had a big jar for when they are fixing XP for putting all the best ideas they have. The new file system also looks promising.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hi, Eddie here, Long time listener, first time caller......bleh, had to open somehow since I'm new to the site...

Anyway, Just a general opinion on some of the issues stated in this thread. First of all, the hardware requirements...I don't know how many people remember, but at XP's release, the recommended hardware and min. requirements were fairly high for the time as well...The specs required by Vista are hardly a system that would break the bank, if properly researched, can be built for well under $1000...

As far as it's popularity, as always, time will tell. However, later in the thread some very intelligent points were made ragrding the marketing campains run by MS with new software, their forceful tactics by limiting suport for older versions of their own software, and generally, lack of competition to the typical day to day user.

Most users, as stated endlessly in this thread, could care less about the inner workings of an OS. Mostly, they want familliarity (which is there in the same respect as it was from the WinME/98/2K jump to WinXP, different layout, but for your average end-user, fairly similar)....They will want it to be easier to navigate then previous versions, which to a low-end user, I believe Vista will achieve.

For the most part, time will tell, we all have our opinions, some will be wrong, some will be right, and some will just be forgotten...The thing to remember is how we disagreed, argued and had tons of fun discussing something we could never truly agree on based on personal prefferences...

Ciao for now :tazz:

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
your [bleep] right Baby Tech