Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Vs Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
oh you cant say "d a m n" here, must be an american site, sorry!

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Only about 20% of Windows users will upgrade their current machine. The vast majority of Windows Vista sales will come with new hardware.

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
agree with Admin, so what if new hardware was not supplied with Vista?

what would people use then?

would Vista prove to be as popular as some people think it will be if it were not already installed on their new pc's ?

my point is that most people use windows because it is already installed or supplied with new hardware, not because it is the "best" OS, but becuase it is already there.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well for most people it is the most appropriate an average user would have trouble with linux not because its hard to use but because hardware driver support isnt nearly as good(MS ploughed hundreds of millions into the hardware support). There is no way any manufacturer will move away from MS they get to good a deal, and who would buy a pc for say a family that couldnt play most games, games are one of the fastest growing entertainment media and you cant get all that many high end games for mac and less for linux.

BabyTech

BabyTech

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Well said...and admin, you are absolutely right. in response to bofh, well, it's kinda inevitable....large companies such as Dell and HP will have no choice but to send out systems with Vista preinstalled after it's passed the initial release stages. MS will find the major bugs missed within the beta testing, fix what they can, and it should stabalize most of it. At that point, Vista will be the new "cool" way to go, and for their own success, they will be forced to market their systems with Vista.

Cross marketing by means of monopolization...once again, way to go Mr. Gates, your plans for world domination are still well set into place.

(just a quick add-in...this was all based on the assumption that they don't hit any walls when finishing debugging...who knows, this could end up being the next WinME)

Edited by BabyTech, 19 January 2006 - 03:17 PM.

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Reading these posts is depressing me! I started on DOS - long time ago, afraid I don't remember much. I'm windows spoiled, in that, I don't know what they are talking about (KDE, GUI, etc) and I'm frustrated! I am still using win98se after paying for, loading then dumping xp. Hated the lack of user-ability. Things I'd taken for granted in my setup didn't work with XP. I don't give a $%#@ about admin rights on my personal desk top that nobody else uses or photo editing. I back up and reformat once a year to clean things up. When I had XP installed and crashed had to call them back to get the second install going, should not have taken a month to decide I guess. They had a bad attitude, didn't want to think about the attitude once a year.

I'm not savvy enough for linux on a full time basis (dabbled enough to know I don't know enough) and I wouldn't know where to find the time to learn. Was really hoping there would be a new system for those of us that like to mess with the settings, start up and custom build our systems to avoid the 'litter' installed on half the hard drive of new machines or just love our old simple programs and don't want to give them up.

Sorry, no point to this other than letting off steam and wishing there was an operating system for those of us that aren't completely computer illiterate, but like the ease of windows.
:tazz: Zan

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
@warriorscot

Your info on linux hardware support is inaccurate, it is true to say that in distributions pre 2.2 kernel, hardware support generally meant you - the user writing the drivers / kernel modules himself which you didnt have to do with windows.

but all that changed from 2.4 onwards, trust me, driver support is not the issue it once was, i find installing a default linux distiribution far less of a headache than a windows install (as far as drivers are concerned)

the few remaining driver issues seem to be confined to wireless network interface chipsets these days (which can be solved using ndsiwrapper)

as Linux increases its market share in the server market, hardware manufacturers such as Adaptec, 3ware, nvidia, ATI, etc...have all been releasing very good linux drivers - and they are usually part of the default distribution.

hardware support is no longer a good reason to choose windows over linux

Games on the other hand...well you've got me there :-) It is possible to play windows games on linux fairly easily (cadega) but the performance is not as good as windows, in fact i must admit that Windows is "the" gaming OS.

But will vista follow this trend?

lovethepirk

lovethepirk

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

the few remaining driver issues seem to be confined to wireless network interface chipsets these days (which can be solved using ndsiwrapper)

That was a nightmare for me, but finally got it, lol.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i still cant use my USB pen on linux or my wireless adapter(either one PCI or USB) straight from the box as they say i can with windows, windows for most accesories nowadays can recognise and provide basic functionality if not complete functionality which is why i like it as i dont have the time during semester to mess with things most of my time is spent either on here, doing homework, studying and playing the odd game when i have some time left over when im not trying to get some sleep, so thats why i use windows instead of linux, i just dont have the time to nurse linux to life even though i do like it its just not as practical for me as i cant do any work on it either as everything has to be done using office(i know i can use open office but formatting doesnt always transfer and its essential in engineering diagrams and lab reports). Also most of the software specific to my academic field are windows only.

Windows has its faults but no more than any other OS when you compare its advantages, and it is the gamers OS, and i like my games, if they got games to work as well or better in linux then i would use it more.

Linux i like to use when i have the time, but i dont have the time usually so i cant use it and stick with good old windows withits plug and play and software compatibilty.

Driver supprt is better its still not as good, Vistas driver support will be even better as well which will be good as there is more and more differnt devices for computers these days, hopefully we can put away the driver disks in the future.

I also really want to see what superfetch does for performance.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You want to talk driver issues? Try 64-bit Vista! :tazz:

Very little available at this time, but that's understandable. If I owned a software company, I wouldn't produce drivers for such a small market that will likely change tomorrow.

Advertisements

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i dont know what distro your using, but if your USB media wont mount then you either have a v v v old distro (2.2 kernel or below) or somthing is broken.

anyway, i always used to say, "linux is the best OS - you just have to work a bit harder to get what you want", that sort of fits what your saying.

what bothers me is that the most common reason i here for people using windows instead of linux is that they find it easier.

now i belive the reason people find it easier to use winodws is simply "exposure", they / we have all been exposed to windows on a daily basis, so over the years we have picked up on how to install software, do a regedit, copy and paste a file etc...

with linux, people havnt had that level of exposure, they all of a suden find that they have to cram years of exposure into a short session if they are to make the most of linux.

i put it to you that the reason windows is popular, is not because it is easier or better, but becuase people have more exposure to it and therefore more knowledge of it, and this is due to the quite brilliant marketing strategies employed by MS

Any engineers, admins and enthusiasts reading this - Trust me, life is easier with linux, a cli shell, security, stability, and OPEN SOURCE software that is usually way better than comercial software, no more tedius business cases to beg for updated backup software, AV software, no more shellign out thousands of pounds on flakey software...the list goes on

at least that is my opinion, anyway - i'm sure your all getting bored of this penguin talk so i'll leave it right there.

windows , linux , unix, mac OS, BSD, etc... i hope that people will allways be arguing over which is best because that means that there will still be a choice...and as long as i have a choice i'll be happy

cheers

qwertyabcdefg

qwertyabcdefg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Vista will eventually sell just like XP. Vista though will be junk. The new faster file system the only worthwhile substance didnt make it in. Vista is a typical microsoft product, it wastes large amounts of resources to look pretty. The system requirements are horrible, and help contribute to software requirements outpacing hardware speed increases. The security will be a joke, maybe they will still use the trusted site system. Im sure most windows users will be happy to click on trusted for most fake websites. Not a big vista fan.

strakka

strakka

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Windows Vista is going to be a hit. It's stupid, but true.

For the people who think that Microsoft products waste resources in order to look pretty, you have to realize this- it looks pretty. Face it. The average consumer likes pretty things, and doesn't really care all that much for system resources. In my psych class, I see people running Windowblinds on their laptops to pretend like they have Windows Vista already. And it doesn't look like it adds any bit of functionality whatsoever. It's just there to look pretty, and we already know that Windowblinds isn't exactly the most resource-efficient program out there.

And that concludes my argument.

Cliff notes version:
People are stupid
Stupid people are attracted to pretty things as a fat kid is attracted to cake.
Vista is pretty

Therefore, Vista will sell.

Tempest210

Tempest210

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I sell computers for a living. I also build custom rigs for game players. Most of what I sell as well as most of the systems sold in the big box stores are for people wanting to surf the net, chat, download music and get email. The most popular things they want to hook up to their computers are a digital camera and MP3 Player.

These are not tasks that need a 64 bit duel core CPU, or more then 64 Megs of video RAM, 256 Megs of system RAM or a SATA hard drive.

I think most people are just going to keep their current systems and wait, as the price for a system running vista is going to have to be between $1500 and $2000 US, adding in the monitor.

A lot info has been posted on the net for what vista will need to run the way it is intended, which realistically, we’re looking at needing a 64 bit dual-core processor system, with 2Gb of fast system RAM, a 512Mb video card, a SATA hard-drive, and if we want to watch the upcoming high definition multimedia content, a monitor that doesn’t even exist yet!

This is not a $500 - $600 computer we are talking about. And with this fundamental shift from bitmap images to vector graphics, shifting the workload from the CPU, to the GPU, will require a serious display card to be included in the machine. A 128 megabyte display card might be good, and a 256 megabyte better, but 512 and higher will be best. But then you have to ask the question, what’s left for my games?

I can see this OS as being a big, bloated mess, which in time we will be forced to use, unless this becomes a Millennium Edition (Remember that?) OS.

Lastly, I don't know of a single person that I deal with that wants, or is looking forward to a vista system, nor do any of my tech friends plan to jump on the vista Bandwagon. This is going to be a very, "wait and see", ride. I fully expect this to be a very slow rollout for microsoft, and I haven't read a single post that would make me feel otherwise.

Sam_G

Sam_G

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I reckon vista will be a mad o/s. I have downloaded the start menu and it looks awesome. I have read so much about the new "vista" and i think that in a few yrs the price of computers will drop, everyone will buy a new 1 and every1 will be running vista.