Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp won't start up

• Please log in to reply

niccolai

niccolai

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
When I turn on my computer, the black screen comes up (where normally you would hit f8 to run safemode) and it goes to the blue HP screen after that like it normally does, but windows won't load after, it just restards and goes back to the black screen and runs in circles.

If I hit f8 none of the options work. I tried all of them, but they make the system restart again.

It happened when I ran regcleaner as instructed to remove malware, but when I restarted my computer, it did this. also, as instructed, I disabled system restore before this all hapened.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Niccolai!

I suggest you do a REPAIR INSTALLATION of windows using the link in my signature as a guide. Don't worry, after doing this all your progrms will still work and you won't lose any files or settings. All this does is replace your operating system files (C:\WINDOWS).

Fenor

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I don't have an instalation disk, the computer was bought second hand. My girfriend let me use her disk, but her's is for a gateway (my computer is an HP) so nothing happens when I restart with her disk in the CD drive.

Is there another way to fix the problem?

Is there another way to get the proper instalation disk for my computer?

should I throw the computer off the top of a high building?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Though your third suggestion might be fun to watch, it isn't the most productive solution to this problem. :tazz: Let me do some research on this and get back to you.

Fenor

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thanks.

I'll also do some research on the highest buildings in my area... just incase :tazz:

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I tried using f10 to reinstall the system, and it installed everything and apeared to work, but stopped loading at the finish screen and now whenever I restart the computer, it goes past the black screen, and past the blue HP screen and goes to the black (windows XP is loading) screen and it sais please wait, but its stuck there and won't do anything.

Should I have not done that?

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
alright, after a few restards, I was able to click the 'finish' button on the reinstalation, but a bunch of problems have occured, and my computer has never been so slow or unstable.

firstly, theres a few processes that it started running that it didn't have before (system12.exe, sxe3.tmp, sysmgr64.exe, wiaadmgr.exe, and is.exe)
there are a two windows errors that come up and when I click ok or x on them, my computer reboots. one I couldn't get a screen of but it sais it can't find lsass.exe (even though it's running, two of them as a matter of fact) and it reboots and the other one is:
Posted Image

edit: I managed to capture the lsass error:
Posted Image

Also, it keept all the previusly installed programs I had form my computer, but doesn't show them in the add/remove panel in controll panel, or in programs. the programs from the start menu is blank and there is a second programs but none of the links work, they are broken.

Posted Image

Edited by niccolai, 06 November 2005 - 06:35 PM.

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Any update on what might be going on?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You mentioned that you disabled system restore. Now, when you re-enable it are there any restore points left or all are lost. If you cannot restore the computer then I doubt if there is any option left other then getting a legal copy of XP and reformat your HD (probably cheaper then throwing the computer).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm unfortunately gonna agree with Y.A. on this one...you probably will need to format and reinstall with a full copy of xp.....i only say this because you said you installed windows with a gateway recovery disk..right? or was it an actual xp disk that came with the system?

that lsass.exe error is a very large flaming sign that you are suffering from an lsass exploit....you may want to post a copy of that last post in the malware forum (the link in my signature) with a link to this thread to see if the malware guys can get you a little bit closer to working before you try to format/reinstall

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
If I can get a copy of the windows disk that came with my computer by contacting hewlet packard would there be any hope?

and if I did, how would I totally wipe everything off my computer before installing it? I don't want there to be extra program files and have no programs work and all that jazz.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Does your computer have a sticker somewhere on it with an XP HOME PRODUCT KEY on it? If it doesn't, then an HP recovery disk isn't going to help you much.

As for doing a fresh install, which includes formatting the hard drive, etc..., post a reply to this post once you have that cd in your possession and we will go from there.

Fenor

niccolai

niccolai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Yea It has a product key.

I don't have the CD yet, but once I get it do I just pop it in and let it do the work? I want to make sure it totally whipes out and reformats everything. I want to do it right this time.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Yes, just put it in and when you receive the message to press any key to boot from CD..., press a key and it will start the installation process. Then just read and follow along with the on-screen prompts.

Fenor