Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply

t-man

t-man

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I have a windows 98 computer that has always connected to the internet, but when I checked to see that the computer was still running it could not connect to the internet. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

Thanks,
T-man

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hello again! How are you connecting? We need to know some basic information.

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I am connecting on the cox high speed internet, not dial-up. All of the other computers on the network are able to connect but that on can not. Any idea?
Thanks,
T-man

canimp

canimp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Where to start.....

Could be very simple - If your connecting via cable, it may simply be faulty - try replaceing it. Have you checked your network card and make sure it is functioning? Are you using dynamic or static IP addresses?

Go to 'My Network' and click properties and select TCP/IP and select properties... does it say obtain ip automatically or does it list ip/mask/gateway numbers? If it says obtain automatically try the following.

1) Try going to <start> <run> type in winipcfg
2) select your network card
3) select release all (you should get all 0.0.0.0)
4) select renew all (you should get new numbers like 192.168.1.1)

If you get the new numbers, try the internet

t-man

t-man

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
I just checked the cable with one that works on my other computer, and I have checked my network card but no luck. I have a dynamic IP address. I just tried your steps and they did not work either, it just comes up with an error saying,"DHCP server unavaliable: Renewing adapter." Any clues?

Thanks,
T-man