Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN problem after XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

robsandy

robsandy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Earlier this week, I downloaded SP2 for one of my XP machines. Everything seemed to go very smoothly, but now I've realized it's caused my computer to stop sharing files over the LAN. I have 3 computers networked with cat5e cable and a 5 port switch. I use ICS to share a dial up internet connection from the sp2 machine. Since sp2 has been installed, the other 2 computers are interacting normally with each other, but neither one can 'see' the shared documents folder of sp2 machine. When I view the workgroup computers, all three are there, but when of the other 2 try to access the sp2 computer, they get an ....you might not have permission to use this resource...access is denied...error. On the other hand, the sp2 machine interacts fine with the other 2 and all three are sharing the internet connection and the printer which is connected to the sp2 machine. I have file and print sharing enabled, but a security setting must have been changed when I installed sp2. I'd appreciate any advise you could offer. Thanks.

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
SP2 changes you get include SecurityCenter and Firewall - I would check that you are allowing file/printer sharing as exceptions on your firewall.

robsandy

robsandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yes, I have enabled file and print sharing in the firewall and I've enven deactivated the firewall to no avail. The printer is being shared with no problems, it's just the files that are invisible to the other 2 computers. Thanks for the suggestion.