Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Euthanasia

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
According to Wikipedia, euthanasia is:

the practice of killing a person or animal, in a painless or minimally painful way, for merciful reasons, usually to end their suffering.

I'm wondering about opinions about whether euthanasia is moral or immoral for
1. Humans
2. Animals

In my opinion, I think human euthanasia is very immoral. I don't think that it is very "merciful" to "end a person's suffering". If I was a doctor, I could never see myself injecting someone with something to "end their suffering". I say, you should live your life to it's fullest potential. I could maybe understand somebody deciding not to undertake an experimental surgery that has a very low chance of success, but not purposely "ending your suffering". I understand that the person could be in pain, but I just don't think that it is moral.

Please keep this discussion civilized. If I offend anybody by my opinions, I applogize, and please point it out so I can edit it to avoid offending others.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I beleive in certain circumstances it wouldnt be immoral for someone to end their own life or help someone else to end their life. Certainly if there is a chance of survival or that they could be functional members of soceity, but if i was in constant pain and unable to care for myself or even speak or breathe for myself i would safely say i wouldnt want to live draining the resources of my family and the state, it wouldnt be right or fair to expect that, and the only legal alternative would be to refuse medical treatment and i really dont like of starving someone to death even if it is their choice.

MasterJ

MasterJ

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

In my opinion, I think human euthanasia is very immoral. I don't think that it is very "merciful" to "end a person's suffering". If I was a doctor, I could never see myself injecting someone with something to "end their suffering". I say, you should live your life to it's fullest potential. I could maybe understand somebody deciding not to undertake an experimental surgery that has a very low chance of success, but not purposely "ending your suffering". I understand that the person could be in pain, but I just don't think that it is moral.

I agree. I believe that, like you said, we should be able to live life to the fullest. Whether you believe in an afterlife or not, you still only get one chance to live here on Earth. Why would you cut that short. I would rather live in a hospital with breathing tubes, feeding tubes, and so on than have my life ended because they didn't want me to suffer. We learn from trials and suffering. That's how human beings work. I should not have to die before Nature/God decides my time is done.

As always, if I offend anybody by my opinions, I apologize, and please point it out so I can edit it to avoid offending others. Thank you.

masterj3000

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yes but in 99% of the cases where euthanasia would be considered that person would have died many years before if it wasnt for the most advanced technology of modern medicine. And what can someone on the verge of guaranteed death possibly learn from suffering and it would seem to me cruel to denie someone the simple mercy of quick and painless death rather than let them suffer a slow painful death where there only wish is to die. How can you deem that immoral surely such a person has allready reached there fullest potential surely that a person completely paralysed and no longer capable of sustaining their own life has the right to a quick death over that of starvation or suffocation at best.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
About the paralyzation thing: What if they are completely paralyzed and the person in charge of their life chooses to end it. What if the person was able to hear, and didn't want their life to be over, but couldn't say anything about it. That is one of the worst things I think could happen to anybody.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thats why people make living wills, to kill someone unless they wanted it then that would be murder and isnt part of this discussion, euthanasia has to be a voluntary thing unless of course that person has no brain function and is allready dead even though there body isnt.

Allthough very few people in that position i woulf think would choose the life of a vegetable over life there would be a certain point where it would become pointless and a waste of resources, in that case it is common practice to withdraw treatment with the families permission, but i would think this cruel to starve or suffocate to death i would rather be euthanised in that case.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
In the end I imagine one can only talk about oneself and I would like to have control over my own life, truth is it is so easy to judge these things from a moral standpoint when it is someone else but a society that keep those that wish to die alive while killing off those it sees as unfit to live because of their crimes just is.......

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

In the end I imagine one can only talk about oneself and I would like to have control over my own life, truth is it is so easy to judge these things from a moral standpoint when it is someone else but a society that keep those that wish to die alive while killing off those it sees as unfit to live because of their crimes just is.......

That reminds me that the Coffee Shop doesn't have a death penalty topic yet. Do you mind if I make one?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
the more debating the better.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
ahh, yet another subject I have very strong opinions on that don't usually match anyone else's.

I used to feel the same as you, Pi Rules. I felt it was immoral and wrong to ever consider helping someone to end their life, no matter what the circumstances were.

My oldest brother got cancer about 8 years ago. He fought for six years...and fought HARD. Chemo four times. Radiation twice. Blood transfusions. Surgeries. Experimental treatments even. All of those slowed the cancer at times, but nothing killed it.
In Dec. of 2001, we found out the cancer had spread throughout his bloodstream, his bones and into his brain. At that point, Jim decided it was time to let nature and God choose his fate. He went through no more treatments.
We kept him at home, and took care of him for the last two and a half months of his life, with some help from hospice. To watch my brother lie there writhing in pain, despite MASSIVE doses of Morphine, is something I can't begin to even explain to you. During his lucid times, he BEGGED us to give him too much Morphine. He was ready to die. He was at peace with God. He wanted the extreme pain to end. Yet none of us could do it. None of us felt it was "RIGHT", even though it's what he wanted. He even begged us to put the drugs close enough to him so he could do it himself. Again, no one believed it was right.
However, in the early morning hours of March 8th, my brother died peacefully at last from a massive overdose of Morphine. He had suffered more than you'll ever understand for nearly three months. No one in my family has ever "admitted" to being the one to put the glass of water and the bottle of pills in his reach. And none of us want to know for sure, either. Every family member has their "suspicions" on who it was, but we've all agreed it DOES NOT MATTER. Jim wanted it. There was NO HOPE that he was going to live. The cancer was in his brain, his blood, his bones and EVERY organ of his body. Should he have been left to lie there for days or weeks more, twisting in pain?

I don't believe that euthanasia is 'right' in every case, no. But in THIS case, I honestly believe it was. My brother was my hero, and meant the world to me. I still love him fiercely. But I believe that we should have listened to him two months earlier. That bottle should have been in his grasp when HE chose to have it, not when one of us was ready. Looking back, I truly believe that he had the right to choose to end his life peacefully, and I hope and pray he has forgiven us for not "helping" him sooner.

Please, if you disagree with how this happened, do NOT flame me. I can respect you and your beliefs, but I also ask you to respect mine. Feel free to disagree, that's why I posted this. I LOVE the fact we can make each other step back and think about things in a different way.

Advertisements

njustice

njustice

• PipPipPip
  • 521 posts
(((((((KAT)))))))

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear about that. :tazz: It's easy for everyone to say their opinions, but it's through things like that which help us determine our true opinions. I truthfully cannot say what I would have done in that position. I just wish that nobody would have to go through that.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

I truthfully cannot say what I would have done in that position.

That's the point I try to make in this area of the boards. NONE of us know what we would do in any given situation, not for sure, unless/until that situation actually happens to us. We have very definite ideas and opinions, usually quite strong, but those can change in an instant when you are actually faced with a decision to make. I didn't post all that to get hugs, (although appreciated, nj). I posted it so that hopefully it will make you stop and think about things in a different way. I am not trying to change your opinions or beliefs...only asking that you keep an open mind that there are always other ways than just "our" way.

LuNa7ic

LuNa7ic

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have no problem with people using euthanasia on animals but when it comes to humans, no, I don't believe it is right.

I think that people should have a right to say 'Hey, I don't want to be a machine, so don't put me on life support, let me die naturally', but I don't agree with people taking action to end a life sooner than it would by natural causes. I know that there are certain situations where I would probably suicide rather than live through the pain, but in my way of thinking, its still not right.

No offense intended, but no, I don't beleive euthanasia on humans is the right thing, and I don't beleive it should be legal.

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I don't beleive it is right that a doctor can help a paitent die just because they what to. I think you can refuse medacation that you need to stay alive such as live suport.

What consernce me is in some contaries where it has become legal, people go there with one way tickets, just because they are sick of living.