Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG FILE CORRUPTED - urgently seeking help

• Please log in to reply

cmpdia

cmpdia

• Pip
  • 3 posts
okay so I came back to my room after class, open my door and heard this really loud beeping noise coming
from my computer. This was one long, continuous sound coming from the motherboard (not 100% sure though). Seeing this, I immediately shut the computer off and rebooted in an attempt to fix this. After restarting, however, my computer wouldn't get past the windows loading screen and after a while I got a message saying that one of my windows files (a system config file) was corrupted. So I got my windows xp cd and attempted to boot windows and to repair the problem. Oddly enough, not even the CD would boot and after a certain amount of time of me just booting and restarting the computer a few times over, the beeping noise from inside the computer resumed. This is a truly out-of-the-blue problem considering the fact that right before I left my room (which I locked after leaving it) my computer was in perfect working condition. Adding to the fact that I wasn't downloading any files at all at the time, and I also had my anti virus and firewall on.
I have no idea as to what to do or who to go to for this problem.
I called geek squad and they said that it would cost anywhere from 90-200 dollars- and this doesn't even GUARANTEE the full repair of my computer.
ANY HELP at all, or suggestions for that matter, will GREATLY be appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try these steps to maybe get you to boot to the cd-rom. Unplug the machine, remove the cmos battery for a few minutes, then replace it. Make sure all the connections to the drives, etc., are seated. And especially make sure the memory is seated. A continuous beep usually means the memory isn't seated or working. Then when the boot up starts, press whatever key is necessary to get into setup and set your boot order to cd-rom first.

Gamil

Gamil

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a similiar problem, my system (xp pro) reset when at 68% of a physical memroy dump after a crash. botting from the hard drive resulted in "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" and booting from cd froze while inspecting hardware config. no matter what, including cmos flashing, and BIOS changes, my hard drive ins unaccessable. I gota new HD and installed xp on it. While partitioning my old drive was said to be a partition, but had 1MB of the space on it used up, the recovery console does not find anything on the old drive. When running xp from my new drive, i could do nothing with my old drive accessign it results in the message "could not access disk, disk is corrupt or missing"

cmpdia

cmpdia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
is the malfunctioning or misplacement of RAM the only possible problem signaled by this long continuous, beeping noise coming from inside the computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cmpdia...

A continuous beep can indicate several things. Check your keyboard first (assuming this is a desktop) disconnect the keyboard and reconnect it...or better yet, try a known good keyboard. Check your power supply...a bad power supply can cause this error code, as can a loose or shorted cable. A bad Motherboard can also cause the continous beep tone. In any case, it sounds like a hardware problem.

Ram error codes are usually a series of beeps rather than a continuous tone.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 09 November 2005 - 12:10 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what is the make and model of your motherboard? we can try to research the post codes for you..

and gamil your problem is not related to this one...start a new thread of your own describing your issue

cmpdia

cmpdia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Here's the motherboard information exactly as it appears online:
MB|MSI NF4 K8N NEO4-F RTL - Retail

I sincerely hope that this is not going to be a motherboard problem... 100 dollars down the drain...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Does the computer pass the post test? If yes, you can exclude, most probably, ram, video card and cpu problems (unless there is a drastic overheating of the cpu) . Assuming that the computer goes beyond post test, open the box and try to locate the source of the noise by listening to where it comes from. Is it the internal speaker? Is it a rubbing fan? Try to disconnect and physically remove everything (including cards etc.) which is not essential for the computer operation. Leave only ram, HD and video card. reboot the system normally and see what happens now.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.msicomput..._tshoot.asp#1_4 here's a trouble shooting guide for your motherboard...try to locate your Post beep in there

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

okay so I came back to my room after class, open my door and heard this really loud beeping noise coming
from my computer. This was one long, continuous sound coming from the motherboard (not 100% sure though). Seeing this, I immediately shut the computer off and rebooted in an attempt to fix this. After restarting, however, my computer wouldn't get past the windows loading screen and after a while I got a message saying that one of my windows files (a system config file) was corrupted. So I got my windows xp cd and attempted to boot windows and to repair the problem. Oddly enough, not even the CD would boot and after a certain amount of time of me just booting and restarting the computer a few times over, the beeping noise from inside the computer resumed. This is a truly out-of-the-blue problem considering the fact that right before I left my room (which I locked after leaving it) my computer was in perfect working condition. Adding to the fact that I wasn't downloading any files at all at the time, and I also had my anti virus and firewall on.
I have no idea as to what to do or who to go to for this problem.
I called geek squad and they said that it would cost anywhere from 90-200 dollars- and this doesn't even GUARANTEE the full repair of my computer.
ANY HELP at all, or suggestions for that matter, will GREATLY be appreciated.
Thanks in advance to all!

gd GSQ......................... your 90 [but most likely 200] dollars will go to pay for their new commercials instead of hiring qualified professionals to fix systems........... :tazz:

But that's ok.................... it's how I make a living............... by cleaning up after they leave a broken mess................. :)