Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer is confusing me

• Please log in to reply

AlwaysBored89

AlwaysBored89

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi. My computer recently started acting up. I first noticed it when Firefox started spamming me with popups. I ran adaware, spybot, adaware again, and spybot again, and it didn't stop. I made sure the definitions were up to date. I even ran a virus check twice and didn't find anything.

I then noticed that when I tried to open one of the folders on my computer, it would make Windows Explorer close down. I eventually figured out it was a file a friend had sent me a long time ago, but I'd never had any trouble until now. I've had this file at least 6 months and it was corrupt when I got it and wouldn't play (it was a video file), yet it never effected the entire folder until now. I couldn't delete the file because I couldn't open the folder, but I managed to quarantine it with my norton antivirus and get rid of it that way.

Also, firefox has decided it likes to randomly shut down on me. It doesn't matter if I'm using it or not, but if I have it open, it'll randomly close all the firefox windows and tabs.

I was wondering if there could be anything related between those three things and what I could do to fix whatever is doing that. I realize the popups may just be the fact that firefox is getting more popular and so people are designing more popups to go with it, but it seems like I've been getting more popups than I would if I was just using IE.

Also, my main concern. I was working in MS Word today, writing a paper for english, and after about 15 minutes, it shut down. That's nothing that surprised me too much, I've seen word do that before. But when I opened it up again and it poped up saying it had saved what I had been working on and asked if I wanted to open that template, I clicked to open it and it closed with the same error. Every time I tried this, it closed with that error. I decided to try to search for the temp file using Windows Explorer to see if I could open it another way, and after a few seconds, Windows Explorer randomly shut down. I tried a few different things and determined that whenever it tried to search for a file which a Word document had the name of, windows explorer would randomly close. I searched for a program I could open just fine in Word, but Windows Explorer would close on me. I ran a search on a word I knew wouldn't pop up with a Word document, and the search ran just fine.

Now, I didn't have service pack 2 cause I heard horrible things about what it could do when it came out, but I figured maybe something with that could help. So, I backed up all my important files and then installed service pack 2, but I'm still having the trouble with the word files (haven't had time to see if firefox is doing anything funky with shutting down).

Does anyone know what's wrong with my computer and what I can do to help it? Do I need to reinstall windows or is there an easier solution that will make me happier?

Thanks so much to anyone who replies :tazz:

Advertisements

AlwaysBored89

AlwaysBored89

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
~Firefox is still randomly shutting down