Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Outlook

• Please log in to reply

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi, GTG,

This may fall more under the Operating System category, but since it deals with one program in particular, I'll post it here. Please move it if you see fit. :tazz:

I'm working on a friend's computer. Windows 2000 Professional recently stopped working on her computer, so I installed Windows XP update. This seemed to fix the problem, only now with running everything in XP, I've had to reinstall some applications (like Microsoft Office) to be able to view old Word and Excel files, etc. However, she is trying to find some old e-mails she had saved in Outlook. They were not archived (that I know of), so they were simply in the Outlook program itself. I don't think I can get to them unless I boot it up in Windows 2000, which I honestly haven't tried but am thinking that it probably won't work...

Does anyone know of a way that I can get into the Outlook program on Windows 2000 or somehow sync up the new XP Outlook with the old 2000 Outlook to get those old e-mails back? I need some way to reach across that OS partition. Is this possible? I feel like the answer might be kind of grim, but if there's any way, I'll try it. It's kind of important to her.

Thanks ;)

P.S. I think it bites that Microsoft charges $35.00 for e-mail tech support, and I think GTG rocks.

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm pretty sure there's a way to do this, I can't quite remember, so I'm not going to have you do something wrong, just hang tight and another staff member will be along shortly. ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Gkeeper

I read your post a couple of times and I want to make sure that I understand correctly. Your friend was running 2000, something happened and you installed XP, it sounds like you installed it onto a seperate partition though. It also sounds like your friend made folders to store her emails in, such as jokes, etc, etc... ;)

I need some way to reach across that OS partition

What you can try to do, is do a search for *.pst on that partition, copy that file to the other partition, does not really matter where, just remember the path. In Outlook, go File - Open - Outlook Data File, go to where you copied the file and select ok. If you have the folder view showing you should now see her old emails. You can also search for *.ost (offline folders) and *.pab (personal address book)

I know that the path to find a pst file is normally C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook in XP, Brain stall on 2000 though, :tazz:

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi, Spank,

You're mostly right. The problem is that the files are NOT archived ;) They were only stored in her inbox in Outlook on Windows 2000. Now that I've had to install a new Outlook for XP, I can't get to that old inbox. Do these e-mails hide somewhere on the hard drive? If I can find a physical icon somewhere in a folder, I can probably restore them and put them in her new program, but right now, I'm at a loss since I can't find anything. She ran a search on her HD for *.pst, but nothing came up. I can't open the Outlook on the Windows 2000 partition from XP.

Probably the most frustrating thing about all this is that she and I are 50 miles apart, and I'm trying to solve everything on the phone... wish I could just get my hands on the silly thing :tazz:

If you know of anything, I'll gladly take the advice.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Send her this link to check out, http://support.micro...kb;en-us;196492 pst files are saved on the harddrive when the inbox is created usually C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and when you create a personal folder, archive is set up automatically by Outlook after 60 days and the file is archive.pst. This link will show the default settings in Outlook and maybe some possible solutions... http://www.kellogg.n...chivebackup.htm

GKeeper959

GKeeper959

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks very much, Spank. I will give that a shot tomorrow and let you know what happens! :tazz: