Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP wont install

• Please log in to reply

mistaripsta210

mistaripsta210

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer messed up awhile ago, so I reformated the harddrive and tried to re install XP. And everytime it install's 18 persent, then it says windows cannot load drivers.cab. I even tried puttin in another hardrive from another computer and install it on that, but it still only goes to 18 percent. can anyone help?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Someone had this problem a month or so ago. Does anyone know what the resolution of it was?

mistaripsta210

mistaripsta210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anybody know???

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One of three things:

1) Faulty memory (take a stick out, see if it gets any further)
2) Faulty CD drive (try another drive)
3) Faulty disc - scratches, etc. (find a good disc, basically).

mistaripsta210

mistaripsta210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive only got one 512 mb stick in there. If I took it out, could I install windows then put it back in, or do I need to buy a new one.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Ive only got one 512 mb stick in there. If I took it out, could I install windows then put it back in, or do I need to buy a new one.

You can't install Windows without memory, so try a memory test, such as the one in my signature to determine if your memory is faulty.

Edit: If you see this in time, try removing all unnecessary hardware before installing XP (add-in cards, extra CD or hard disk drives, etc.)

Edited by Pi rules, 05 December 2005 - 09:14 PM.