Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Windows 98 SE

• Please log in to reply

canimp

canimp

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I acquired an older PII 400 computer with ME on it. Because I had to reload it, I decided to put 98 SE on it because I never had the ME disks.

I used a 98 boot disk and performed fdisk and format of the C drive. (went great)

I then proceeded to load 98SE from the CD. Everything went great until we got to the installation of PnP devices. The system rebooted and then I received the message for me to put the windows 98 cd in the drive. I concluded that the computer could no longer detect the CD drive. When I tried to browse for it I couldn't - It was not listed and no longer visible through 'My Computer'.

I tried doing everything again and again - right back to the fdisk and formatting stage and I continue to get the same result. Could it have something to do with rolling back from ME to 98? I don't understand it because it loaded off of the CD..... how could it not find it after completeing the majority of the install?

I should mention that the CD drive isn't that old.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

I should mention that the CD drive isn't that old.

This is likely the problem. If it's a newer type of drive the older version of windows may not pick it up. If you have/can borrow an older type of drive you might want to try it. You could also try putting it on the same IDE cable as the hard drive, or using a win98 boot disk to load the drivers for the cd, then type in C:\windows\win at the A:> prompt and hit Enter to load windows.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You shouldn't run the 98 Setup from the CD, because the setup routine is a DOS program.

DOS has never had native CD support, you've always had to load separate drivers for it. And because the second half of Windows setup is still DOS, because its outside of the original setup environment (before you rebooted), there is no CD support (one can add it manually but its quicker to it as follows instead).

Best thing to do is copy the entire suite of Windows 98 CAB files to the hard drive and run Setup from the hard drive. That way it'll have everything it wants when it wants them, with no need to mess about with CD drivers.

Do this as follows:

Boot from your Win98 floppy and wait until it gets to the command line (A:/>)

Type as follows, pressing enter after each line:

D:
cd win98
format C: /q
mkdir C:\cabs
C:
cd cabs
copy D:.
setup

Assuming drive D is your CD Unit, change if applicable.

When the system wants to reboot, take out the floppy and the CD and let it reboot.

Setup should now go straight though with no issues. If it asks to insert a CD, point it towards C:\cabs instead.

Edited by Neil Jones, 07 November 2005 - 05:13 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts

Best thing to do is copy the entire suite of Windows 98 CAB files to the hard drive and run Setup from the hard drive. That way it'll have everything it wants when it wants them, with no need to mess about with CD drivers.

This is a very good recomendation. Here's another post where I've described using this method, with some variations.

http://www.geekstogo...nto-t76644.html