Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop won't turn on

• Please log in to reply

Louisa

Louisa

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Its quite nice of my laptop to die the day of my last exam...its a good little one, I think I might have worked it too hard. :) :woot:

Well what has happened is that I just can't turn it on. I plugged in the AC adaptor and all I get is a blinking orange light, which is usually green when the AC adaptor is plugged in and power switched on.

I tried using the battery pack instead and the same thing, the AC adaptor light just keeps blinking orange. I think however my battery pack is low on battery.

However, still it should work with the AC adaptor plugged in.

My laptop is a Tecra M2V
Err I am not sure what other info you need, so please advise if more details are needed.

Appreciate your help :woot:

Louisa :tazz: :)

Edited by Louisa, 06 November 2005 - 11:13 PM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Have you verified the ac outlet where you have the ac adaptor plugged in has power? Can you check the output of the transformer with a multimeter? By output, I mean the cord that plugs into the computer. There should be a dc voltage present, at a value specified by your computer manufacturer. You need to put the multimeter probes into the socket holes on the cord that plugs into the computer.

Louisa

Louisa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi

Yes I tried plugging it into different outlets and also made sure all outlets were working by plugging in a fan, which worked per usual.

:tazz:

Louisa :)

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Ok, you know the ac on one side (input to the transformer) is good. Now move on to the output of the transformer. I realize most people don't have ready access to a multimeter (DMM, digital multimeter) which can be used for checking ac and dc voltages, resistance, current, diodes, capacitors etc. You can use this to check the output of the transformer. As I indicated in the first post, there should be dc voltage present. If you dont have one or know someone that does, perhaps you know someone who has a computer like yours who will allow you to try their ac adaptor.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I don't know if this will help but we have a BatteriesPlus store here and they will test/charge some of this stuff. You might want to check around to see if any place will check the power or maybe could charge your battery. Also can you detect a particular pattern of blinks of the lights? Some of the Toshibas will blink in a pattern to tell you what's wrong.... unfortunately even if it is it might be difficult to find out what the lights mean though toshiba website might help.

Louisa

Louisa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
austin_o - thanks for your help so far, I don't have access to a multimeter, I think its best to take it to a computer/battery store as shard92 suggested. I'm quite sure it is the battery, so we will see.

I'll look into the light pattern thing as well.

Cheers
Louisa