Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HJT isn't helping

• Please log in to reply

kramster

kramster

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My sister's computer got hold of some variant of a virus. The 'vundo' virus I think. However, i can't get any removal tools to work. specifically, there is a BHO that HJT finds (the file name is pmnmn.dll) that HJT can't remove, and neither can any of the removal tools that are out there (like the one on symantic). They all leave this one file in my WINNT/sys32/pmnmn.dll folder (I think it is vundo because it also creates a file called nmnmp.dll just like the other vundo variants).

I can't manually delete it, either in normal or safe mode. I have even tried logging in to dos and deleting it, but it always has some part of windows running and the error message says I am trying to delete a file that is currently being used. Does anyone have a suggestion. I can't get to her HJT file tonight. Even if I could this virus sucks up so much memory it makes it almost impossible to run anything else. It won't let me onto the symantic tool fixer download page. it just blocks it. I have downloaded the tools on my computer and used my jump drive to get onto her computer.

I am pretty much out of ideas now. I run the tools and fix everything but that one file and then there all back again when i reboot. the symantic tool says that it left one file but "it will be gone once you restart", but the file is still there. so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Advertisements

kramster

kramster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So there is no help? I guess I need different geeks...