Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont start

• Please log in to reply

Wrath101

Wrath101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey, new user here.

Ive got a problem with my computer (currently using my brothers). I was using it the other night when abruptly it just reset itself and wouldnt start back up (HDD and power lights on and fan going but The moniter was recieving no signal.) So i turned it off then restarted it, started fine, but soon as it got to the desktop it restarted itself but once again wouldnt start back up, same deal as before lights and stuff but no signal. I left it off for the night hoping it would fix itself (lol) and then tried again and now it wont even start up, just black screen but power lights on and HDD light flashing.

No idea whats wrong but really frustrating as i really need to use the computer too :tazz:

Ne help appreciated

Cheers :)

Advertisements

Wrath101

Wrath101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
bump

please, ne help appreciated...

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi and welcome to GTG,

It could be that the video card has failed, do you have onboard or a card?

Try putting a video card in it if you can barrow or have one laying around. I would not run out and buy a new card because It could be many other things but try that first.

You could try powering on till the point were the lights and fans are spinning and then press Ctrl,Alt,and Delete twice. If the computer reboots this tells us that it is responding and most likely working properly but you can't see anything because the video is bad. I caution you though doing this could corupt windows because it is a hard reboot and when you do get it working you may have to do a repair install of windows.

Rick

Wrath101

Wrath101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I thorght that might be the problem... But i do have a card, a Radeon 9600 pro. Has been working fine. Umm, the second solution, the thing is the lights both come on straight away and the dont stop... its as if its continuously loading somthing but nothing... :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

I thorght that might be the problem... But i do have a card, a Radeon 9600 pro. Has been working fine

Yes but is it possible that it could have failed or have you tried it in another system?

You should also try disconnecting both the ide cable and power cable from all the drives and see if you can boot into bios, if so then the video card is ok and one of the drives is bad, I am thinking maybe the hdd because of lights staying on.

Rick

Wrath101

Wrath101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hmm, just removed video card and replaced it with an old geforce 4 i had. No luck. Im also thinking it may be the HDD now... May i ask what exacally would i do in order to test this?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Disconnect all the drives both ide and power, try and power on and see if you can boot into bios.

This will tell us if its one of the drives or something else. If you can see bios then it must be one of the drives so add one at a time till you find the bad one. If you can't see bios post back