Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safe and trustworthy browser & email-client tests?

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I've got a trial version of NOD32 running at the moment and would like to know if there's some way to test if it's been configured correctly? Is there some way to send a 'safe' (ie: harmless) virus by browser or email so I know not to worry about Firefox or Outlook Express 2k?

I've found a scan at grc.com sheildsUP to check my FW and proxy server, which indicated it isn't set up properly. Some advice on fixing those settings too would be appreciated.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
http://www.eicar.org...s_test_file.htm

Using real viruses for testing in the real world is rather like setting fire to the dustbin in your office to see whether the smoke detector is working. Such a test will give meaningful results, but with unappealing, unacceptable risks.

Since it is unacceptable for you to send out real viruses for test or demonstration purposes, you need a file that can safely be passed around and which is obviously non-viral, but which your anti-virus software will react to as if it were a virus.

The file is a legitimate DOS program, and produces sensible results when run (it prints the message "EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!").

It is also short and simple - in fact, it consists entirely of printable ASCII characters, so that it can easily be created with a regular text editor. Any anti-virus product that supports the text link button test file should detect it in any file.