Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CMOS/GPNV Checksum bad

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Help! :tazz:
Up 'til two days ago I had a password on my computer (the BIOS one) and the complete system (1,44, 128 ram, windows me, 3 years old) was working fine. Then it failed to load up normally or from the reset button.
After about the 6 attempt to boot up my password disappeared and, well I don't know how else to describe it but the 'way' it loaded up changed: Now it checked the 'Primary master, secondary master, primary slave and secondary slave' and its on the secondary slave that it says 'not detected' - does this mean anything?
Anyway it was then working fine until the day after when for the love of god it would not fully boot up!

I kept getting a number of different messages like:

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad and
CMOS memory size wrong

Quite a few times it got 'stuck' checking the NVRAM
- Different amounts were OK and then it would freeze
- The tower also made some funny noises doing this as well

One time when the system had half booted up everything disappeared and the monitor message of 'Attention - Out of range - H:27,8 Khz V:52,9 Hz' appeared!

It freezes at various positions of loading and the BIOS date has returned to FEB 26/2002 (when I bought it)

When I finally got it booted up there was no memory to run any programmes and the screen was all pixelated

Please someone tell me it's just the CMOS battery!

I hope this makes sense to someone and I look forward to any replies! :) :) :woot:

Edited by anyabekx, 07 November 2005 - 08:33 AM.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like the cmos battery is a good place to start....if that doesn't fix the errors...then you may need to update your bios.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually a battery problem, you can tell by virtue of the fact that the system forgets what time it is, any passwords and any special settings you made.

CMOS batteries are just basically oversized watch batteries so any decent computer shop will have some which, if you're on good terms, may let you have one for nothing. Most usually keep them when boards are scrapped.

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
After replacing the battery make sure you clear the cmos and load the bios defaults. The checksum error will appear on the first boot but everthing else should be normal.