Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware, PSGuard I think. [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi beeps :)

ZoneAlarm gives me lots of popups everytime a program (spysweeper, messenger, firefox etc ) tries to access the internet which I allow, and also says that "messenger is attempting to act as a server" which I deny because I dont know what that means exactly. Should I allow it to do this?

If you recognize the program (e.g. FireFox) then you should allow it access. You can tick the box that says something like 'always perform this action' and this will prevent ZoneAlarm from alerting you everytime for this program. If a program is attempting to act as a server, it means it will be allowed to accept incoming connections from the internet - usually only instant messenger programs and P2P programs do this. Same rules apply... it you recognise the program then you can allow it access (and tick the box if you want to stop that program alerting you every time). If you ever get an alert for a program you don't recognise, deny it access.

Myy desktop background has not returned

Please try right clicking on you desktop, selecting Properties and try changing your background to something you desire.

When shutting down I have been getting a pop up " XPCOM is shutting down ". It then says it is not responding and I have to force the program to end now. Now though, that seems to have stopped happening.

I think that message is related to Mozilla, but I can't be certain. Good news that it seems to have stopped happening :)

Anyway, onto even better news... Congratulations, your log is clean :tazz:

Before we get carried away, it's real important that you stop yourself getting infected again by reading my prevention tips below. It's been pleasure working with you beeps, give yourself a pat on the back :woot:

Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free :woot:

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at:

Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE--Adaware Tutorial

Spybot S&D--Spybot Tutorial

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts.

AVG Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention :

Zone Alarm Sygate Kerio

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes :

Firefox Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications.

It is vitally important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by microsoft.

This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

To add to the performance of your computer, i suggest a weekly maintenance program. Run this tool. Ccleaner

Lastly a second opinion on the Antivirus that you have chosen. I suggest running these online virus scans periodically, just to make sure that the av is doing a proper job, of keeping you safe :

Rav Online Scan Housecall Online Scan Panda Activescan

Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox, or opera.

And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein)

Good luck and safe surfing :woot:

Advertisements

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi infaddict,
Uummm...I think I'm going to cry or something. :tazz:
An Ewido scan found some PSGuard stuff this morning. I then ran a HiJackThis scan, and the log appears to be a bit different than it was before. I fear I may be reinfected already.

Since I've been doing the bare minimum on my computer since we started the fix, my first instinct is to heap the blame on my brother as usual, but he says he wasnt even on the internet last night. I dont see how it could happen with the firewall anyway. *sigh*

I shudder to think that on the very cusp of success we may be put back to square one. If it is the case I'm sure you will be exasperated to find this out considering all the effort you have gone to, to get my system healthy again. My apologies if I have done something idiotic but I simply cant think what that could be.

Well, here is the ewido log and the HiJackThis log. No other scans I ran found anything bad btw.

ewido security suite - Scan report
---------------------------------------------------------

+ Created on: 17:06:18, 19/11/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 4B25F020

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD\PSGuard -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD\PSGuard\PSGuard -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD\PSGuard\PSGuard\License -> Spyware.PSGuard : Cleaned with backup

::Report End

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:09:28, on 19/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\SlimU2\HotKey.exe
C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\R2M.EXE
C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\atwtusb.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead PhotoImpact 5 Bundled Edition\Abmtsr.exe
C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner\espmain.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\shane\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ie/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.4000.1001\en-gb\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.4000.1001\en-gb\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Speaker Configuration] C:\PROGRA~1\C-Media\WIN_ME\Setup.exe /SPEAKER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKey] C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\SlimU2\HotKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMBROWSEMOUSE2] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\R2M.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMOFFICE4DMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atwtusb] atwtusb.exe beta
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PicasaNet] "C:\Program Files\Hello\Hello.exe" -b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Album Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead PhotoImpact 5 Bundled Edition\Abmtsr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner\espmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE Calendar Checker .lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by24fd.bay24....es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

I hope I'm making a mountain out of a molehill? :)

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Your HJT log looks clean. Let's try and get rid of those bad registry keys. You may want to print these instructions as you will need to reboot in Safe Mode during the fix.

During this fix you will need the smitrem folder which you extracted in one of my earlier posts (you should have placed this on the desktop). If you no longer have this (i.e. you have deleted it), download smitRem.exe and save the file to your desktop. Double click on the file to extract it to it's own folder on the desktop.

Please restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Now open the smitRem folder, then double click the RunThis.bat file to start the tool. Follow the prompts on screen.

Wait for the tool to complete and disk cleanup to finish. Please be patient as this can take some time.

The tool will create a log named smitfiles.txt in the root of your drive, eg; Local Disk C: or partition where your operating system is installed. Please post that log along with all others requested in your next reply.

Still in Safe Mode, open Ad-aware and do a full scan. Remove all it finds.

Still in Safe Mode, run Ewido:
Click on scanner
Click on Complete System Scan and the scan will begin.
NOTE: During some scans with ewido it is finding cases of false positives.
You will need to step through the process of cleaning files one-by-one.
If ewido detects a file you KNOW to be legitimate, select none as the action.
DO NOT select "Perform action on all infections"
If you are unsure of any entry found select none for now.
When the scan is finished, click the Save report button at the bottom of the screen.
Save the report to your desktop
Close Ewido

Now reboot back into normal mode and run a full Spy Sweeper sweep and save the results. Please post back with :
  • smitfiles.txt (located at C:\)
  • Latest Ewido report
  • Latest SpySweeper report

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi there,

Your HJT log looks clean.

Ah, thats a relief. I was freaking out a bit lol. I had assumed some piece of inadvertent buffoonery on my part was responsible for messing everything up. :tazz:

Ok heres the logs:

Smitfiles:

Pre-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Post-run Files Present

~~~ Program Files ~~~

~~~ Shortcuts ~~~

~~~ Favorites ~~~

~~~ system32 folder ~~~

~~~ Windows directory ~~~

~~~ Drive root ~~~

~~~ Wininet.dll ~~~

CLEAN!

Ewido:

+ Created on: 14:22:35, 20/11/2005
+ Report-Checksum: BB0BF9D3

+ Scan result:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD\PSGuard\PSGuard -> Spyware.PSGuard : Error during cleaning
HKLM\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD\PSGuard\PSGuard\License -> Spyware.PSGuard : Cleaned with backup

Spysweeper:

14:31: | Start of Session, 20 November 2005 |
14:31: Spy Sweeper started
14:31: Sweep initiated using definitions version 574
14:31: Starting Memory Sweep
14:33: Memory Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:01:54
14:33: Starting Registry Sweep
14:33: Registry Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time:00:00:48
14:33: Starting Cookie Sweep
14:33: Cookie Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:00:00
14:33: Starting File Sweep
14:59: File Sweep Complete, Elapsed Time: 00:25:16
14:59: Full Sweep has completed. Elapsed time 00:28:03
14:59: Traces Found: 0

When I rebooted back into normal mode I was told my IE searchbar had been changed. I figured it was a positive development of somesort and allowed it. IE seems fine.
When in safe mode should I be logging on under "administrator" rather than the usual one as I have been doing?

Thanks! :)

Oh, Im not having any success getting my desktop background back. Some good samaritan sent me a PM saying it was a HTML file ( according to "properties" this is true ) which I could select, drag and close, revealing the original one beneath it but that hasn't worked for me.

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi Beeps :tazz:

Please can you right click on your desktop and click Properties. Then go to 'Desktop' tab and tell me what your wallpaper is set to.

Then click Customize Desktop and click on the 'Web' tab. Tell me the entries listed under 'Web pages:' and also which ones are ticked.

When I rebooted back into normal mode I was told my IE searchbar had been changed. I figured it was a positive development of somesort and allowed it. IE seems fine.

Do you have more details about what the title of the popup was or what it said it was changing your searchbar to? Can you post a fresh HijackThis log please so I can check it?

When in safe mode should I be logging on under "administrator" rather than the usual one as I have been doing?

Ewido doesn't seem to be able to clean those keys and it could be permission related. So yes, please try the administrator account in Safe Mode and re-run Ewido and let me know what happens.

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi infaddict,

When I click on the desktop/ properties this is what I find:

General
Not Available

Protocol: File Protocol

Type: HTML File

Connection: Not Encrypted

Address: file://C:\\WINDOWS\desktop.html

Size: Not Available

Created: Not Available

Modified: Not Available

However, if I drag down the taskbar thingy at the bottom of the screen it reveals a patch of blue which appears to be the orignal desktop. When I clicked desktop/properties on this I found the normal tabs.

I found that

Wallpaper is set to none (blue)

Under customise desktop/ web, under web pages is: Security - it is ticked

The new searchbar was short and authentic sounding. MSN something or other. Sorry I can't remember the exact title.
Here is the HiJackThis log.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 17:31:18, on 20/11/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\slserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\SlimU2\HotKey.exe
C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\R2M.EXE
C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\atwtusb.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead PhotoImpact 5 Bundled Edition\Abmtsr.exe
C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner\espmain.exe
C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\shane\Desktop\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.ie/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: ST - {9394EDE7-C8B5-483E-8773-474BF36AF6E4} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\ST\01.03.0000.1005\en-xu\stmain.dll
O2 - BHO: MSNToolBandBHO - {BDBD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.4000.1001\en-gb\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\MSN Apps\MSN Toolbar\01.02.4000.1001\en-gb\msntb.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [C-Media Speaker Configuration] C:\PROGRA~1\C-Media\WIN_ME\Setup.exe /SPEAKER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKey] C:\WINDOWS\Twain_32\SlimU2\HotKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMBROWSEMOUSE2] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\R2M.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FLMOFFICE4DMOUSE] C:\Program Files\Browser MOUSE\mouse32a.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [atwtusb] atwtusb.exe beta
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [THGuard] "C:\Program Files\TrojanHunter 4.2\THGuard.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PicasaNet] "C:\Program Files\Hello\Hello.exe" -b
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Album Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead PhotoImpact 5 Bundled Edition\Abmtsr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner.lnk = C:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner\espmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE Calendar Checker .lnk = C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE\CalCheck.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_04\bin\npjpi150_04.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4F1E5B1A-2A80-42CA-8532-2D05CB959537} (MSN Photo Upload Tool) - http://by24fd.bay24....es/MsnPUpld.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - [url="http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmessengersetupdownloader.cab"]http://messenger.msn.com/download/msnmesse...pdownloader.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: SmartLinkService (SLService) - - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\slserv.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

Oh, there was no difference running Ewido through " administrator ".

Thanks!

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Under customise desktop/ web, under web pages is: Security - it is ticked

You need to untick this option... this was part of the original smitrem instructions, but maybe you missed it :). Please try that and then let me know if your normal desktop returns.

Then delete the following file : C:\WINDOWS\desktop.html

Please select and copy the following blue text and paste it into a blank Notepad window. Then choose File -> Save As and change the 'Save as Type' box to 'All Files'. Name the file as fix.reg and save it on your desktop. Note there should not be any spaces or blank lines before the first text of 'REGEDIT4'.

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD]

Then reboot your computer in Safe Mode and when you reach the desktop, double click on fix.reg and allow it to merge with the registry.

Now re-run Ewido and let me know the results :tazz:

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi,

Yes, unticking "security" worked like a charm. Cheers! :tazz:

There was no " desktop.html " file to be found. There was "desktop.ini" but obviously I left it alone until told otherwise.

I followed the reg edit instructions. It seemed to work fine. An ewido scan turned up the same results as before however:

+ Created on: 20:49:16, 20/11/2005
+ Report-Checksum: 21F4F37B

+ Scan result:

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

I think these reg keys are harmless because we've killed the infected files, but lets see what we can do to tidy them up. Normal methods can't seem to delete them.

Go to Start -> Run and copy and paste this in :

regedit /e C:\search.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SHUDDERLTD"

Paste the results in your next post (file will be C:\ search.txt)

:tazz:

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi there,

Here are the results:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SHUDDERLTD]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SHUDDERLTD\PSGuard]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SHUDDERLTD\PSGuard\PSGuard]

If you think they are harmles thats cool with me, unless you have some ingenious method at hand to dispose of them. But dont bother yourself unduly if they arent hurting me. Youve already gone to loads of effort to deal with the real nasties. :tazz:

Cheers!

Advertisements

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hey beeps :)

That scan confirms those keys are empty and don't contain anything that can harm you computer. We could probably get rid of them using special registry tools to alter their permissions, but that can be dangerous and if its ok with you, I'd prefer to leave these legacy keys.

Once again, I can confirm your log is clean :tazz: .

Since your issues have been addressed and you are ready to travel the net again, I will just give you a few ideas on how to stay safe out there. Best of all these programs are all readily available on the net for free :)

To reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster and SpyWareGuard.

SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard are by JavaCool and both are free programs. SpywareBlaster will prevent spyware from being installed and consumes no system resources. SpywareGuard offers realtime protection from spyware installation attempts.

More info and download is available at:

Spyware Blaster Spyware Guard

Might I suggest the following Free Spyware programs for added security, you can download them at the following links. These programs work great for detection:

Ad-aware SE--Adaware Tutorial

Spybot S&D--Spybot Tutorial

Antiviruses play an important role in keeping your computer safe and worry free while using the net. *NOTE* Only one antivirus must be allowed to run on your computer, as having two or more running can and will cause conflicts.

AVG Avast

Firewalls are also a must in any good prevention :

Zone Alarm Sygate Kerio

There are different browsers available on the net, other than Internet Explorer, we believe!! these are better for security purposes :

Firefox Opera

You must stay on top of your updates at all times, for the above mentioned applications.

It is vitally important to stay on top of your critical updates provided by microsoft.

This can be accessed by going to Windows Updates and following the prompts.

To add to the performance of your computer, i suggest a weekly maintenance program. Run this tool. Ccleaner

Lastly a second opinion on the Antivirus that you have chosen. I suggest running these online virus scans periodically, just to make sure that the av is doing a proper job, of keeping you safe :

Rav Online Scan Housecall Online Scan Panda Activescan

Housecall Java Online Scan<---For those who use Firefox, or opera.

And finally a little Posted Image How did I get infected in the first place ? (by Mr. Tony Klein and dvk01)

Good luck and safe surfing :woot:

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi infaddict, :)
I'm officially clean, marvellous!

Thanks a million dude. My system is running like clockwork now all thanks to all your efforts and I am eternally gratefull. :)

Y'all geeks are truly fabulous people. /bows

I've nothing else to bother you with so I guess this one can be marked "resolved".

Cheers! :tazz:

Edited by beeps, 21 November 2005 - 05:02 AM.

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts

As discussed, I have one more thing to try for those left over reg keys.

Please download PSguardregfix and unzip it to your desktop. Please run (double-click) on the ClickThis.bat file that was extracted. This will run a tool and when complete, Notepad will open with a log file.

Please paste the results of the logfile into your next post.

Edited by infaddict, 22 November 2005 - 03:49 AM.

beeps

beeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi there,
Well that seems to have been successful.
Here is the log:

Testing presence of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD ...........
Testing presence of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PSGuard.com ...........

! REG.EXE VERSION 3.0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ShudderLTD\PSGuard

Creating dummy ..........

The operation completed successfully

Hiving Dummy / Saving Dummyhive ..........

Deleting Dummy ..........

Adding Dummyhive ...........

Deleting ShudderLTD/PSGuard.com ...........

Checking if ShudderLTD/PSGuard.com is still present ..........

Deleting leftovers in registry ..........

Leftovers deleted!

Thanks! :tazz:

infaddict

infaddict

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
Hi beeps, good job :)

Please now re-run an Ewido scan to see if it still picks up those ShudderLtd keys. Post the contents of the Ewido log in your next reply