Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Crash Issue - post 1.8 WoW

• Please log in to reply

Madrigan

Madrigan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all,

I am new to this forum but was wondering if your guys could help me out. I've been back and forth with Blizzard, ASUS, Nvidia and PNY and still haven't a solution. Basically, I set up my PC (homebuilt) as my specs say in January. I played World of Warcraft (wow) straight up till a few weeks ago with no problems. After the 1.8 patch, my pc started to randomly reboot; more often as time went on to the point I could start and intense gfx programs without it crashing.

I pulled of the case and noticed the gpu fan was pretty clogged. I cleaned it out and she started to run well again but still would reboot. Long story short, I have tried everyting I can think of from reinstalling window and/or drivers to propping fans blowing in the case and unplugging periphs.

I am pretty sure its not power or heat according the monitors. Some say drivers but I can't help thinking that my card went bad when the fan was clogged. A few of the BSOD's I have gotten were the IRQ not less than and the wdsmd.sys dump.

Funny thing is when I stwitch out the 6800 for my 5200, everything runs fine again. What do you guyss think is going on. I was gonna send back my card on warranty but if they can't crash it in strees test, they just send it back.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
it sounds like a driver issue....have you updated the drivers for the card?

Madrigan

Madrigan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did update to the 8.1.x.x drivers, newest on the Nvidia site. Didn't change anything. I was working with a tech for a bit via the forum and when I disabled the soudmax driver, the would instead pause for 20 secs every minute or so (but did not crash). I have tried updating every driver (chipset, gfx, sound, LAN, Bus driver) but that didn't work either..