Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for graphics card advice

• Please log in to reply

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I'm looking for a new graphics card for the computer I built. I would rather not go above $100, because the only games I would possibly play are Madden and NBA Live 2006 and I'm considering saving up to buy a nice notebook computer for college in 1 1/2 years. It would mostly be used for applications and video editing. As I stated, I don't need a very good one, and the requirements for Madden 2006 (which I don't have, but might get someday) only needs above a GeForce2 or ATI 8500 chipset. I found this for only $62 at Newegg with a ton of reviews (showing it's popular), but it only has a 270 MHz. core and only supports OpenGL 1.4. Would this be sufficient for amateur video/picture editing (with Adobe Premiere Elements & Photoshop Elements) and possibly a few games?

Edit: here is more info. on the card.

Edited by Pi rules, 07 November 2005 - 10:33 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Its only 6.4 gb/s bandwith, try and get a card a little faster.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
What about this one? As I said, I'm not going to use it for much.

Here are more detailed specs. However, I noticed the suggested price is about $150, but Newegg is selling it for about $80.

Edited by Pi rules, 07 November 2005 - 12:17 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Take a look at this one, it is just a little bit more for a 256 mb version.
This will be good enough.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814153012

just $5 more, you cant go wrong for 128 more ram on the card.

Edited by jrm20, 07 November 2005 - 12:21 PM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK. I'll consider it and get back to you with my decision. Thanks!

btw: Those cards are almost identical even though they are different companies. Even the boxes are pretty much the same.

Thanks for you help! :tazz:

Just one quick question: I never heard of JetWay, so are you sure they are a reputable company?

Edited by Pi rules, 07 November 2005 - 12:38 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I know thats why I recommended it. Lets put it this way Jetway is any more reputable than Rosewill is because rosewill isnt well known either..

Jetway, Rosewill, xfx, bfg, evga are just the companies that put the cards together, the card still has an ati gpu (graphics processing unit.)

Pay more and get a better name if you want then if you pay more you can get a faster card.

Its all up to you.

Personally I like evga and Bfg but you said you had a limit and im trying to get the fastest card for your budget. That is the fastest for your $100 budget.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
OK. Thanks a lot! :tazz: Like I said, I'll post back with my decision, although I think I might wait until the holiday season to see if there are any specials on video cards. I knew that those companies used chipsets from other companies like ATI and nVidia, but not that they would use the same boxes even.

btw: Do you have any idea how Vista would run with that card? I will probably get a notebook or new PC when Vista officially comes out, but I'm thinking about trying the public beta whenever it is released. If you don't know, that's fine, I was just curious.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It would wouldnt be the best microsofts system requirements are away with the fairies for vista. Hopefully the microsoft fairies will bring us nice shiny new PCs to run vista.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I guess by the time Vista actually comes out, computers will hopefully come with that type of equipment. I found some requirements, and for ATI graphics, it says above a Radeon 9800, and for nVidia, the FX series. I know the 9600XT core clock is faster, but the memory interface is only 128-bit (9800's is 256), the memory clock is a little slower, there are only 4 pipelines (8 in the 9800), but I'm hoping to at least be able to test out the beta not necessarily play games on it and turn the settings all of the way up.