Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whitelist for Internet browsing

• Please log in to reply

brown705

brown705

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello All:

I'd like to get a recommendation for software, either free or very cheap, that will block all HTTP browsing other than the sites listed in a whitelist that I create. This computer is going to be for the kids at a day care, and I'd like to protect our youth from corrupting their little minds. :tazz:

Does anyone have any ideas or currently implement this? If there isn't a software solution, then I guess I'd go for a cheap hardware firewall solution.

Thanks,

Michael

Advertisements

brown705

brown705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Nevermind, I just found my own answer (FREE):
http://support.micro...om/?kbid=267930

Michael

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
One of the most unreliable methods I've ever known.

Mainly because 97% of websites don't use that technology, plus four versions of Internet Explorer later it still doesn't work properly and is well known to block everything.

brown705

brown705

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neil,

I'm not sure if you read the Microsoft article closely enough. I agree with you that very few sites use the content filtering system employed by Internet Explorer.

The method listed in the article disables the rating system altogether and relies completely on the list of approved sites that must be manually entered. In other words, ALL web sites will be rejected unless the site is entered into the "Approved Sites" list, which is exactly the solution I was seeking.

Michael