Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow connecting to the internet

• Please log in to reply

Valerie

Valerie

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer has been working fine.
I am on DSL.
Now for the last week....it is taking up to 5 minutes for me to connect to the internet....once I am connected...it is back to normal and working fine again.
Everything else on my computer works fine.
I tried doing a system restore...but that did not make any changes to the speed.

Can anyone please help me with this please ?

Dell Dimension 2350
200 GB HD with 512 ram
1.99 GHz

Thanks so much
Valerie

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Valerie

Have you tried changing the cables from the DSL modem to your phone line, sometimes the cable will go quickly, maybe a small power spike, ;) if the cable is running through those powerbars that take phone lines, try connecting it directy from the cp to the DSL modem, I have seen those go, powerbar is still good but the phone jack is shot.

Have you had the phone company check your cables, might be an issue with the main line?? While speaking with them, see if they have made any configuration changes and forgot to send out the info. :tazz:

Valerie

Valerie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thankyou so much for your reply....I did call my isp and was told that since, once I connect to the internet it runs fine...that it was not a problem with them...it was a problem with my computer.

I unplugged and plugged back in all the cables and there doesn't seem to be a problem there.

I have been trying to find the answer for it...but I haven't found it yet.

I have done a virus scan, and scanned for spyware and I am clean of all that.

I really appreciate your answer...thankyou so much.

Valerie