Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Master/Slave Hardrive Help

• Please log in to reply

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok so I posted in here a week or so ago about a failing harddrive. Dell is sending me a new one becasue whe n I ran the diagnostic it came back as failed the second time I ran it. They said it sounds like it hasnt completly failed but is intermitantly failing so so will fail eventually.

They told me to turnt he machine off and wait until i had the new hard drive then to make the old one a slave to the new one to pull my files over onto the new one and then send them back the old one.

First off...does this sound right? Secondly if it does sound right, how do i go about doing this? Is is failry easy?
Thanks
Matt

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Yes, it's pretty easy. You can look on the drive for the jumper settings. The drive may be set to cable select, in which case the master/slave relationship is determined by the drive's position on the IDE cable, and you just have to switch the connectors. Everything they're saying seems on the up and up.

Good luck.

mcipoletti

mcipoletti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks.

Any advice on how to make the OS on the slave drive not interfere with the OS on the Master Drive. I was told this could soemtimes casue a problem. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
matt

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

Any advice on how to make the OS on the slave drive not interfere with the OS on the Master Drive. I was told this could soemtimes casue a problem. any help would be appreciated.

This obviously depends which which 2 OS's you are running. For example, if you wish to dual boot win98 & XP or 2000, by making the XP/2000 drive's file system NTFS, it will be invisible to Win98, which can only recognise FAT16/32. The XP/2000 OS will still be able to read the win98 drive however.

I've been multi-booting win98se, XP & 2000 myself for a couple of years now & haven't really had any problems regarding one OS interfering with the other.