Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window's media

• Please log in to reply

ronnie

ronnie

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have a video (AVI) file that run’s on my desk top with widow’s media 10.
When I try to run the same file on my laptop the window’s media player 10 says looking for codec and reports back an error. The player then runs, but only audio. Both computers are using XP. Any idea why the lap top will not run the video.
RON

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Ronnie

What is probably happening is that on your cp, when you went to play the file, Media Player 10 downloaded and installed the video codec that was needed to play both the audio and video portions of the file. You laptop is missing that codec and is only playing the audio portion, it is had to say what exact codec is missing.....usually with avi it is probably a divx codec :tazz:

ronnie

ronnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks spank_me. I downloaded a codec and it worked. :tazz:

Ron

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Thats great, ;)

rereading my post though

it is had to say what exact codec is missing.....

supossed to say it is HARD to say.....better practice the typing..... :tazz: