Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer suddenly cuts off

• Please log in to reply

cardboard22

cardboard22

• Pip
  • 1 posts
when i am trying to play Ages of Empire on my laptop, it will all of the sudden shut off and i have to turn the power back on to even do anything on my computer. It seems that when I run software that it shuts itself off. I can stay on the internet and type and everything is fine, but when i try to run something, the computer just shuts itself off. Can anyone give me any tips on how to solve this problem. Thanks

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Machines restart for many reasons, either the application has caused a serious error for windows to shutdown to protect its files.
You might have a hardware defect that gets triggered at high usage which could shutdown the machine.
The event viewer is your friend it will tell you what the problem was before it had shutdown.
Look under system and application logs.

let us know what errors you see there.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.