Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd-burner/cd-burner not being recognized.

• Please log in to reply

PyroOnASwing

PyroOnASwing

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey, im new here so i hope im doing all of this correctly. so heres my problem.

about two weeks ago my parents had gotten a dvd burner from a computer show, and it was working fine and dandy along with the cd-burner that weve had for about two years or so. then, the either day, the computer doesnt read it all of a sudden. like, when the computers booting up, it says theyre not there, therefore they dont even come up anywhere while using windows. ive tried re-connecting wires on the inside and nothing seems to be helping. they are getting power though since they both can still open and close. is it possible that the ribbion wire just went bad? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks. :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi and welcome to GTG,

Sounds like the ide cable ("ribbon cable") is indeed bad because the drives are not showing up in post so try replacing that first. Sometimes they get brittle or hard from heating up and cooling down and when they are repositioned or disturbed they go bad.

Rick