Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Upgrading Advice

• Please log in to reply

Eidolon

Eidolon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Here are the specs for my current computer:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ running at 2 GHz
RAM: 2x512 Hyper Ram running in DC config ( 1 G ram total)
Video Card: Nvidia 5200 FX
Motherboard:MSI K7N2 Delta
Hard Drive: 2 x 40 GB Hitachi ( dont know the exact series)

I play computer games a lot and I am wanting to upgrade some parts of my computer to improve my gaming performace. I got about $700 or so to use right now. I want to know what you guys think would be the best thing to upgrade. Here is what im looking at, once again I dont have enough to upgrade all so if you can give me advice on what would be the best thing to upgrade:

Ram: Dont think I need to upgrade this

Video Card: Nvidia 7800GTX~ 460-500
or Albatron PC6800GT Geforce 6800GT 256MB PCI Express x16 Video x2 in SLI config~$560 for both

Hard Drives: 2 x 74 GB WD Raptors 10k RPM $170 each~ $350 for both

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+ + 1GHz FSB Socket 939~$380

Motherboard: ABIT Fatal1ty AN8-SLI Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD ~$200
or ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard ~ $250

These are just some of the items are looking into if there is a better combination you guys think would suit me best please go ahead and supply me with your advice. Thanks

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I am not real sure you need a dual core processor for gaming, maybe look into the FX line or due a little more research, I hope others will comment on this also.

I would get the Abit board, I like Asus but both boards are comparably about the same but the Abit is 50 bucks cheaper.

You did not mention the psu, most likely it will need to be upgraded also.

Rick

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What speed of RAM have you got in there at the moment?

If you have memory suited to that processor only (DDR333) then it will become the slowest link in the chain in your new system.

Bear in mind that if you change the board you also need to change processor, maybe memory and also maybe the power supply.

The duel-core processors, IMHO, are far too expensive at the moment to even consider looking at.

How is your system performing at the moment? I have something similiar to your current setup but with a different card and board.

What sort of games do you play?

Eidolon

Eidolon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thx for the quick replies guys. ATM I am running PC 3200 hyper ram 2x 512. My power supply is Turbolink 420 ATX. I play mainly mmorpg like world of warcraft and everquest 2. Right now I have $700 to upgrade only parts of my new computer but I might have more later to finish it off. What other advice do you guys have :tazz: thx.

p_mii_nawy

p_mii_nawy

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
get one raptor and for your slave get a 250 gig hd. make sure that you put windows on the rapot and your most played games there. everything eles move it on the 250 gig. your going to need a dvd, because the better games come in dvd now. stick to one cpu like doby said, unless you are some type of art maior and need all that power. if you want a sick vid card i would buy eVGA 512-P2-N435-AX Geforce 6800GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card or CHAINTECH SA62A-512 Geforce 6200 512MB DDR SDRAM AGP 4X/8X Video Card. or if you are going with the Fatal1ty get the matching vid card ABIT Fatal1ty X800 XL Radeon X800XL 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card( just so you know these cards will run you about half of what you have).