Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

question on wireless router

• Please log in to reply

super5

super5

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Not sure if this is possible. Have 8 pc's, all running xp, have a netgear wgr614 hooked to one machine.
wireless cards in the of the machines. I am losing signal on 3 of the machines part of the time. None of the machines will be on the internet. Just want to access files on the machine that connected to the wireless router. I am wondering if the netgear wireless router is inot big enough to handle 8 machines. Any help will be appreciated, hopefully you can point me in the right direction. Thanks! guys

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
how close are the wireless machines to the router? Any walls, brick or otherwise, or upstairs/downstairs to deal with?........... any EMI devices to contend with, like microwave ovens or 2.4ghz phone systems?

Edited by kd1966, 07 November 2005 - 06:48 PM.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Good question about the phone sys. will check. all the machines are within 50 feet of the router. Thanks for the fats response. Do you think netgear router will do the trick?

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
there is no upstairs or dn stairs evrything on one floor.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
how many wireless and wired systems do you have? your original post to me is unclear on this

EDIT: Netgear is a good brand [IMO], and Linksys being at least as good, with D-link pulling into a distant 3rd

Edited by kd1966, 07 November 2005 - 07:02 PM.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
trying to get 8 machines to talk with one machine (no internet) via a wireless router.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
The only real limitation will be the speed during simultaneous "talking" among the 8 systems. I have seen 4 port wireless routers connect 10 systems, but it is slow if all systems are trying to "talk" at the same time, as wireless is collision "avoidance"[CA] and not collision "detection" [CD] as wired ethernet is.

EDIT: If this is some sort of "Gaming LAN", you can forget it................. you need wired connections for the raw speed

Edited by kd1966, 07 November 2005 - 07:10 PM.

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I should of thought of that....thanks makes sense.....

super5

super5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
would assigning ip's help at all?

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

would assigning ip's help at all?

For wireless.............. NO