Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

creating a home network

• Please log in to reply

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I have a Dell desktop at my house and it is using Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller as the network adaptor for a wireless network. My laptop is using lynksys Wireless G Notebook Adaptor v.2.0. I have no idea what I am doing and I would be very greatful if someone could help me. My internet access on the desktop is Westell DSL through ethernet . Any ideas on how to share internet access wirelessly. thanks I do have a wireless network connection with an excellent strength but I am unable to connect to the internet on the wireless laptop.

Edited by firemedic1620, 08 November 2005 - 03:05 AM.

Advertisements

Doorslam

Doorslam

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
I believe the Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gibabit Controller is not wireless.

What you need is a wireless router with at least a 1 port switch on the back. This is a good one for example:

http://www.linksys.c...FVisitorWrapper

To setup, instead of plugging in your Westell DSL to your desktop, you will take that line and plug it into the router. Then your desktop will also plug into the router(if you buy a router such as the one above, it will come with setup instructions). The router will also trasmit a wireless signal which your laptop can then pickup.

firemedic1620

firemedic1620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
That explains it thank you