Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can this be done?

• Please log in to reply

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I've just been given (haven't picked it up yet) a pc tower that won't boot up anymore. They know nothing about computers other than the power button so I'm hoping it won't be a huge problem. I think it has Win2k, but may run Win95se.

What I'd like to do somehow is use my IBM Thinkpad T20 running Win2k to control the hard drive in the tower. Maybe even use some of its prossessing capabilities. I don't know any specs on the tower yet so I can't fill you in.

Can this be done? Maybe I could pull the hd out of the tower and build a box to make it external? Did I just get a worthless paperweight?

Advertisements

samiko

samiko

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 424 posts
Hi and welcome to GTG

what do you want to do exactly? you can't connect to the HDD remotely without an operating system intialised, hence you can't connect to a dead machine.
You can slave the drive locally to your machine through USB external storage drive casing.

You see the method of access depends on what you have available and how do you want to access it.

Please ask if you have any other question or if you have more details.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if you do get the other tower up and running you won't be able to cluster the processors without at least windows 2000 advanced server (i'm almost 100% sure that 2000 server cannot cluster...but i could be wwrong)

FeelingMinnesota

FeelingMinnesota

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

if you do get the other tower up and running you won't be able to cluster the processors without at least windows 2000 advanced server (i'm almost 100% sure that 2000 server cannot cluster...but i could be wwrong)

drat.

So maybe just yanking the hard drive out, somehow hooking it to usb, and building a fan cooled oak box might be my best bet. Darn those financial limitations.

thx