Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Cable Disconnected

• Please log in to reply

sebcadinot

sebcadinot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a desktop computer and a laptop, both running Windows XP. I have plugged in an Ethernet cable into both computers but they both say that the netxork cable is disconnected. We have run the network wizard on both computers and both list the Ethernet as not connected. What am I doing wrong? Both network adaptors are working properly. Both recognise a modem when it's plugged in... but it just won't recognise the other computer. Tried two different cables and still nothing? Also tried switching off the Firewall and still nothing...
Could someone please help me out here???
Thanks,
Seb :tazz:

Advertisements

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Sebcadinot

When you say

I have plugged in an Ethernet cable into both computers but they both say that the netxork cable is disconnected.

are you connecting the laptop directly to the desktop cp or to a hub or router.

If you are connecting the laptop to the desktop you will have to get a crossover cable, normally pins 1 -3 and 2 - 6 are crossed so that the cps can talk to one another, a regular cable will not work, the packets traveling on the wire will just smack into one another. :tazz: and the receiving pins will not be in the right order.