Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

If the Ten commandments is out.....

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
OK this follows on from the other thread here on whether the Ten Commandments are suitable for the school wall. Simply, write what rules you feel your children should see everyday, please address the wording for an average ten year old child. I will try to do what I did for the democracy thread I started before, that is build up a list here from your suggestions line by line where noone has any objections.

Is anyone here against the idea that the list should include

Honor your father and mother.

Edited by fleamailman, 08 November 2005 - 09:58 AM.

Advertisements

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I would still list all 10 Commandments as well as Jesus command in John 15:12-13 :

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
"stupidity is the biggest and most hurtfull sin, learn all that you can and never assume you know enough"

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Live with honour, strive for knowledge, be vigilant and discipline will help you in the stuggle. And of course mind your Ps & Qs.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not to be outdone by you posters I will contribute an old one here:
"Fear God, love your country, honor your parents and brush your teeth", and the above are all great posts, really appreciate them for myself and for other people here.

Ah, but could I ask you for something for a ten year old child again, words that are straight, simple, true and modern, there must be no question in that child's mind about the meaning. Personally I am against any line that refers to dying, killling, adultery, etc., as a ten year old.... sorry to ask you but alone I could not come up with something for my son this Christmas. I like the "Do unto others..." but I can't find modern words for it. I like Kiplings "If" too, and perhaps will reward my children if they can remember it line for line.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Teach a child the importance of honour, knowlede and discipline from an early age and they will be a little old fashioned(never done me any harm and i am pretty succesful, although i wasnt taught them by my parents i just kinda picked it up at about ten-early teens) but much better people for it. Read them books like LOTR full of romantic notions of honour david copperfield i like as well read them that, teach them old myths and stories, they are being lost and that is really a shame(the PC society doesnt think them proper) i know i like the stories of captain scott and ernest shackleton good rolemodels to teach children about.

I dont know of you can teach them a few rules you have to ingrain them with the notions and the rules. Tell them so they dont know you are telling it and it will sink in.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Remain close to the great spirit
Show great respect for your fellow beings
Give assistance and kindness wherever needed
Be truthful and honest at all times
Do what you know to be right
Look after the wellbeing of mind and body
Treat the earth and all that dwell thereon with respect
Take full responsibility for your actions
Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good
Work together for the benefit of all mankind

Johanna

ditto

ditto

- i pwn n00bs -

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,260 posts
"You have made us in yourself and our hearts are restless until the rest in you"
-St. Augustine

thats how i live my life everday

But i feel as though children could relate to the beautitudes. The teachings of st augustine are too hard to understand for children.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont get what that means let alone children.