Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player 10 error

• Please log in to reply

WiredUpKlutz

WiredUpKlutz

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I run into a problem with Window Media Player 10. Each time I start the programme, it displays the error message:

"Windows Media Player has encountered an error and needs to close"

The error signature is:

AppName: wmplayer.exe
AppVer: 10.0.0.3802
ModName: wininet.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2753
Offset: 0007938b

The error report shows:

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005
flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000

I've tried to reinstall wmplayer 10 three times but to no avail. I also had tried to rollover to wmplayer 9 but the same problem persists. I had the latest windows updates as well.

Now I can't play all wma files both online and offline. Can someone please help me?

Thanks.

Advertisements

CoconutTastesLikeCrap

CoconutTastesLikeCrap

• Pip
  • 8 posts
How recently did this issue begin occurring? Has it always been this way, or is it something that started fairly recently?

In addition, here are some links that might have some useful info...
Windows Media Player Newsgroup (although this newsgroup seems to have tons more questions than answers)
Microsoft's Windows Media Error Message Index

I hope this helps a little. I'll see what else I can find.

WiredUpKlutz

WiredUpKlutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I installed ewido yesterday. It cleaned 43 infected files and windows media player can play offline music. BUT i can't still view online wma files. Firefox will prompt me that I need to upgrade to windows media player 7 and above when I already have wmplayer 10 installed.

Also, my firefox 1.07 browser will show this error message for no particular reason:

Illegal operation in Plugin

Mozilla ActiveX control and plugin support

The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator.

I've checked with the Firefox Troubleshooting forum and run an ActiveX test. I got the right version for my firefox. But the problem persists.

Another suggestion I picked up was to run a ram test on http://www.memtest86.com/ but the steps were too complicated for me to execute. My processor is running awfully slow now. Takes a long time to open programmes and document files.

CoconutTastesLikeCrap

CoconutTastesLikeCrap

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Please download the Firefox plug-in found on this site (make sure you know which version you're using). It should help at least one part of your problem.

Edited by CoconutTastesLikeCrap, 10 November 2005 - 07:18 PM.

WiredUpKlutz

WiredUpKlutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I downloaded a precompiled ActiveX plug-in from the link you gave me. Ran a sample test as suggested by the link and I got a firefox.exe error.

firefox.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The error report contents are:

The error report shows:

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005
flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000

Do I need to configure Firefox source code after downloading the plug-in? The instructions given were really complicated.

Thanks.

CoconutTastesLikeCrap

CoconutTastesLikeCrap

• Pip
  • 8 posts
No, you don't need to do anything to activate it...but unfortunately, it didn't do much. It only gets rid of that "You need to upgrade Windows Media Player to view this movie" message (or at least it should). I'm going to try to find something that'll fix the other error you're getting, but it could take some time. Hopefully someone else can get you info sooner.

Oh, if you're using Firefox 1.5 RC-2, please note that the plugin I showed you doesn't work with it. It only works with 1.0-1.7.

Edited by CoconutTastesLikeCrap, 13 November 2005 - 03:30 PM.

WiredUpKlutz

WiredUpKlutz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I'm using firefox 1.07 browser. And no, the ActiveX plugin didn't remove that msg "You need to upgrade Windows Media Player to view this movie".

I know you've tried your best, just that I'm stuck with a very peculiar fix.

Thanks, anyway =)