Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing Files

• Please log in to reply

jcz8503

jcz8503

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So, my laptop has a dead battery and must be plugged in at all times. Power went out and so my laptop automatically died. I restart in the morning and it goes straight to scandisk. Scandisk freezes and will not progress so I have to turn computer off by pressing power button. I turn it on once again and it doesnt even get to the scandisk screen before freezing so I turn off by pressing power button again. I turn it on once again and it gets to scandisk. It checks the disks for consistency and this takes about 40 minutes. At the end it says insufficient disk space and that files cannot be recovered or restored or something. When I log into windows all my pictures, music, documents are gone. My desktop screen is the default one and my desktop icons are rearranged and half of them are gone. My start menu looks like the original one like when you first install windows and I have no recent documents. It basically seems like something wiped out my start menu and everything in it. I still have the items that were in my recycle bin beforehand though. All my favorites on Internet Explorer are gone and my computer still remembers my passwords so I have absolutely no idea what's going on. A friend tried to restore it to a point 2 days ago, but tha didnt work so we restored it again to a point even earlier and then it said restore could not be completed. We did not undo each restore however and out final restore was to a point on October 24, two weeks ago. I have no idea what's going on and all I really care to get back is my photos and my music although I really don't care about the music as I can get it back.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jcz8503...Welcome to G2G!

Try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let us know how you fare...

wannabe1