Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

16 colour screen, no sound

• Please log in to reply

simonesee

simonesee

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I hope you can help me, I really don't know what to do anymore.....
for a while now my computer has changed it's screen resolution to 16 colours, and it cannot be changed back. It has been showing the message rundll provoked an error in mmsystem.dll and will be shut down. I have checked for all kinds of viruses and infections as you recommend on the website, but this doesn't seem to be the problem.
I have done a reboot in savemode, accesed the system.ini, have put drivers=mmsystem.dll under (boot) which seemed to have stopped the error message appearing, but did not sort out the screen problem.
The sound isn't working either...
Yesterday we tried upgrading the OS from ME to XP, but that didn't work, I guess because it is a different platform... It doesn't help that I don't know too much about all this and to make matters worse the computer I am using is in French, as I live in France, but my French is not very good yet.
It would be nice if you could help :tazz:

Thank you :)

Advertisements

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Your statement "...accesed the system.ini, have put drivers=mmsystem.dll " should have fixed that particular problem - according to Microsoft.

As you have ME you have the ability to restore your system settings to an earlier time (prior to your problems).

This may or may not help but is worth a try.

To restore your computer settings from an earlier time:

Click the Start button.

Point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time, and then click Next.

Click a day on the calendar, click the restore point description, and then click Next.

Make sure you have closed all your files and open programs, and then click OK to close the dialog box.

Click Next.

You will not lose any recently saved data as System Restore does not alter your personal files.

If this fails you may need to reinstall the Video Card and Sound Card Drivers.

Edited by 1069, 08 November 2005 - 01:09 PM.

simonesee

simonesee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz:
Thank you. Restoring the system to an earlier date didn't work,... but I have installed both new drivers and now the graphic is back to normal as well as the sound. Thank you. Don't know why I didn't think of it myself, ... but I did a check on touslesdrivers.com which drivers I have installed and reinstalled the necessary ones.
:)
Thank you!!!!
I wish Microsoft would have come up with the same solution, as I would have sorted everything much earlier!

Guest_1069_*

Guest_1069_*
Glad that I could help :tazz: