Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

graphics card compatibility

• Please log in to reply

morfius

morfius

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi

I currently have a rubbish leadtek geforce 4 mx 440 in a asus p5s800-vm mobo. I am thinking of buying a sapphire radeon 9600xt 256mb but im not sure whether it will be compatible.

I have heard that people have had problems with various cards and mobos. From what I have read my mobo supports it but I don't know if there are issues.

Is the sapphire 9600 xt 256mb a good card and will it work in my mobo?

Any replies appreciated

thx

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
If you have the right slot it will work. The only issues I have herd is if you have a motherboard with an ati chipset and then you decide to put in an Nvidia video card. Or vice-versa. Your motherboard has a SiS chipset so, make shure you disable it when you get the new card.

It should work. You have agp 8X just to let you know.

If you installed you last video card you should have no problems.

morfius

morfius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
thanks jrm for the reply.

Is the sapphire 9600xt 256mb any good - it is £65 on ebuyer. How much of a performance increase over the gf4 will i see. Is the sapphire 9600xt 256mb or sapphire 9800 se advantage 256mb better? Does the fact that the 9800se have 8 pix pipes over the 9600xt's 4 mean that the 9800 is better?

Any replies appreciated