Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Reboots When Playing Videos

• Please log in to reply

spyderxz7

spyderxz7

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

Out of the blue one day I am not able to play any videos (any format - wmv, avi, mpeg, doesn't matter) whilst having any version of drivers installed. It will begin to attempt to play the video, and then my PC will freeze up and then reboot.

I have uninstalled my video drivers (leaving the Windows default generic drivers at work, I suppose) and I was able to play any video (any format) I wanted. I have also downgraded from Forceware 81.85 to 78.01, but to no avail -- I receive the same problem. From then I downgraded one at a time down the line even further than 78.01 in the drivers archive, but it doesn't help.

Also, I have realized that if I go to Display Properties> Settings> Advanced> Troubleshoot and slide the hardware acceleration all the way to the left (off), I can view videos. I've tried playing the videos with hardware acceleration all the way up with both Write Combining on and off, both of which don't solve the problem.

So, I can only view videos if a)I have no drivers installed or b)Hardware Acceleration is disabled. And as we all know, it's hard to get any photo/movie editing done with these settings (as well as gaming :tazz:).

Please note that I can play any video game that I want (so long as hardware acceleration is at max). World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Battlefield II, you name it. Just throwing this in there to help narrow down my problem.

I would appreciate any help you could provide. Please, and thank you.

PS. To those who may have read my thread about a previous problem where a new PSU solved it, the new one I got is 520w, whereas my old was only 350 and I was able to do all these things with it. I have also tried switching my power supply with another working one but to no avail, so I don't think this has anything to do with it.

Edited by spyderxz7, 08 November 2005 - 03:41 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

now do this and try to make the computer crash
In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This will result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

spyderxz7

spyderxz7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, in the event viewer there are no red x's, however i did get a message labeled as information with an exclamation mark in a chat bubble that says:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x100000ea (0x87d2f208, 0x892bd2d8, 0x8892a2d8, 0x00000001). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini110805-06.dmp.

Going to try the second thing you said now.

spyderxz7

spyderxz7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okay, i disabled autorestart and now when i encounter the error it will play pieces and bursts of audio but the video remains black. the pc will sometimes do a single bios beep . also, during this time the keyboard does not respond. if the numlock light was on, i cannot turn it off, etc. sometimes the mouse will freeze up as well but usually after a short while it will start to work again. the computer is VERY sluggish durring this. if i click the X to close the video it can sometimes take minutes before doing so.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
open up my computer, right click on your primary drive, click properties, then the tools tab then error checking, check both boxes and press start