Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running programs when clicking them

• Please log in to reply

logic1485

logic1485

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have been thinking about this for a while. Basically, I have realized that if I open up iexplore from the run window, then when it crashes, it doesn't take down the whole system. I was wondering if there was a way to get IE (or almost any other program in that case) to open up such that it would open up a new process?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it would probably be more effective for your computer not to crash....or at least to figure out why it is crashing...

can you describe what causes these crashes?

logic1485

logic1485

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
This question was "just in case". In the recent past, my computer has managed to crash relatively few times, but even then, I run programs using the methods above, as a "just in case" measure. It's the same thing as saying why do you have a virus scanner, if you don't have viruses? "Just in case" you get a virus. In the same effect, you never know when explorer will crash on you.

logic1485

logic1485

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So I guess that nobody knows how to tackle this problem?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...your question is kind of vague...all programs open up a new process when you open them....the way to prevent your system from crashing...is to find out why it does...there has to be a reason that I.E. crashes for it to crash...and if it's failing in such a way to completely lock windows...then it's failing in a major way....the best way to solve this would be to find out why it crashes....which is why i asked my original question

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
if you made a batch file with the following lines, it would run ie in a new process (but shouldnt it anyways?)

[if you dont know how to make a batch file, create a new text document, write the commands, and save as "filename.bat"]

these commands should do it:

cd \Program Files\Internet Explorer\
IEXPLORE.EXE

but i dont know why it would not automatically start as a new proccess

Edited by Thebinaryman, 16 November 2005 - 12:37 PM.

logic1485

logic1485

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
What about running a new process with everything I click, binaryman?

dsenette: nothing is crashing my system, as it is. I'm just saying, a corporate environment (for example) this would be helpful, because if something crashes, then it becomes pretty lethal, depending on what is open. I was just wondering about this.

I'm looking for something like the "Launch folder windows in a seperate process" in the Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab in any folder window.

Actually, hold on, I think I just (kinda) answered my own question. Except now I want this to apply to Internet Explorer, because for some reason whenever it is launched by double clicking, and then it crashes (for whatever reason) it brings down all of explorer.exe.

Sounds kind of crazy, but ask me for an clarification.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well logic....that's not because it's not running as a seperate process...it's because everything is integrated with explorer....IE and explorer.exe are all soo deeply integrated into windows....that they cause issues when they hang....like i've been trying to say....you're kind of....going around this assbackwards......if your system is running fine...you should have no reason to worry about this because IE won't crash....if IE is crashing(or any other program for that matter) then something is wrong with the system....loading the program as a seperate process isn't gonna stop the crash....fixing what causes the problem will...i mean...i see what you're trying to do...but....it's like puting a poorly made bandaid on a giant gash.....just...doesn't make sense

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
you should try stopping programs when the freeze by the "ctr+alt+del" menu, not under the "applications" (using the end now button) but under "processes" and selecting "iexplore.exe" or whatever executable is freezing, and clicking "end process" i find this method much faster, and it does not stop "explorer.exe" from running this works for all thing except folders that freeze, because they are "explorer.exe". in that case, end "explorer.exe" and then "ctr+alt+del" again and start explorer.exe again. should be relatively fast.