Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with CD-Rom drive

• Please log in to reply

roxilange

roxilange

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was working at my 'puter the other day and for no apparent reason the CD-Rom drive popped open by itself. I couldn't get it to close at first but finally did. When I looked at the drive it was missing. When I shut down that night it came back the next day. Then a few days later it started making a whirring noise and I couldn't get it to open or anything so I shut down and when I turned it back on it was missing again and has been since. What can I do to fix the problem? Or is it too late and time to buy a new 'puter?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi roxilange...Welcome to G2G!

It's possible that your cd-rom drive is going bad...they do wear out. Cd-rom drives are not very expensive these days and are fairly easy to install...if your computer is in good working order other than this, you might consider replacing it.

First, though, let's uninstall it from devoce manager and let Windows reinstall it. Right click "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab and then select "Device Manager". In the list of devices, click the + next to DVD/CD-Rom drives and select the problem cd-rom drive (single right click). Choose to "Uninstall" or "Remove" the device, accept the change, and exit Device Manager.

Restart your machine and let Windows reinstall the device. If you get the Install New Hardware Wizard, follow the prompts to have the wizard search for the best driver.

Let us know if this helps...

wannabe1

roxilange

roxilange

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
That's the problem. It's not showing up anywhere to try and uninstall it. There is nothing that says CD drive on the hardware manager. So now what?

And there is one other problem that I've been having with the 'puter too. But I'm not sure it's anything major or not. When I shut down, a regular shut down, it starts back up immediately. It's not saving settings when it shuts down either.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
roxilange...

Try an in-place uprade (repair) to the OS. You can follow the guide for the XP repair in the link below...they should be nearly identical procedures.

REPAIR your installation of XP/2000. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Let me know how you fare...

wannabe1

roxilange

roxilange

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can't get the CD drive to open to boot from the CD.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
roxilange...don't ya just love it? :tazz:

At this point, if it were me, I'd replace the cd-rom drive. The restarting problem could possibly be caused by the bad hardware, as well.

wannabe1