Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Am Sure this Is simple but having problems

• Please log in to reply

jsar

jsar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK have a PC that died on me a little while ago and have been trying to get it fixed for a while, after changing various components etc i have now got it so it boots up etc,

however the only hard drive i can get to work on the thing (ie actually boot) is one from an old office PC that is running windows 200 server. that would be ok as i would just change the operating system however cant log into windows i never worked at the office or know anyone who did and its password protected, is there a way to format the hard drive and re-install a new version of windows? tried F8 to get the setup but this just allows me to run in safe mode etc where there is the same problem due to not having the pass word.

thanks in advance

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi jsar...Welcome to G2G!

What operating system were you thinking of installing? Different systems have different requirements for cpu speed, RAM, and so on. There are also different procedures for installing each OS. If you can supply us with a little more information, I'm sure we'll be able to help you install an operating system on your machine.

wannabe1

jsar

jsar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
think is a AMD 1gig processor if i remember rightly and has 512 ram in thre atm, i have a copy of windows 98 i was gonna put on there, the problem i am having is basically formatting the current hard drive so i can put the new OS on there, as at the moment i cant get past the login screen as i dont have a passowrd to the old OS that was on the hard drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
jsar...

You'll need a Windows 98 Startup disk for this...if you don't have one, you can download This Version. Double click the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create a Startup Disk for Windows 98SE.

Restart with the Win98 Startup disk in the floppy drive. When presented with the Options Screen, press F5 (on some versions: Shift > F5) for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type fdisk and press "Enter".

On the next screen type Y to enable large disk support.

In the "FDISK Options" screen, use option 3 to delete the partition and press "Enter" (Delete all partitions beginning with logical disk drives and delete the Primary DOS partition last...You may be prompted to accept the deletion...accept it.) and press "Enter" then press "Esc" to return to the "FDISK Options" screen. Choose option 1 to "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" and press enter..again, accept the change.

On the "Create DOS partition or Logical DOS drive" screen, choose option 1 to "Create Primary DOS partition" and press "Enter". Type Y to "use the maximum available size and set the partition as Active"...press "Enter"

On the next screen, press "Esc" to get the A:\ prompt and then press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart your machine.

When presented with the Options Screen, press F5 (on some versions: Shift > F5) for Command Prompt. You will see the A:\ prompt...type format C: /s (Note the spaces) and press "Enter"...type Y to accept the change and press "Enter". Formatting will take a while...be patient.

When the format is complete and you are back at the A:\ prompt, insert your Win98 Installation CD and type D:\WIN98\setup (the command line should appear A:\D:\WIN98\setup) Note: On some versions you will need to type D: and press "Enter" then at the D:\ prompt, type setup and press "Enter". Setup will then check the Hard Drive...this may take a while...be patient. Installation should then begin...just follow the prompts.

If you have any questions on this procedure, post back with them. Let us know how it goes...

wannabe1