Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Erasing files

• Please log in to reply

Rian Smith

Rian Smith

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The files have gibberish names and, if they have a date at all, they're from the '30s. Scan disk can't erase them, and thus it won't run at all.

Advertisements

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
What's the full name of the tricky files.......

Loxs

Rian Smith

Rian Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Loxs, thanks for the quick response. So I go to look at the names of the files [which were mainly symbols and thus can't be used in file names!], and the files are all gone. I wonder if I should be happy or worried...

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
:) Happy that they're gone.........
:tazz: Worried if they come back........

When is the last time you done a clean install of Windows? Errors creep into windows over time and a clean install (according to some experts) should be done about every six months.

A good thing to do while your at it:
Make an extra partition on your hard disk. You can then keep all your personal info on this new drive which will be D:\ by default. Windows files will be copied on C:\ by default. When you do the next clean install (6months), you can format C:\ and re-install windows and not have to worry about you personal info on D:\ getting erased.
Remember, you need to leave enough space in C:\ for windows to grow. Your personal exe. files can be placed in D:\ for safe keeping but when you run them, they will be happier copying themselves in C:\Program Files. This is fine since you will only need to keep the original exe. file for your next clean install.

Let me know if you decide to do this and if you need more info.

Loxs

Edited by loxs, 10 November 2005 - 10:39 AM.

Rian Smith

Rian Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey. I started cleaning up my D:\ drive in order to begin transfering my personal files there as you suggested, before doing a clean install, but I'm getting lost. Don't know what I need to keep -- all data from a previous computer is hiding there, for example, and I just don't know if my system needs any of these files.

Finding more and more folders with gibberish names that can't be deleted. Names with symbols and numbers, many with solid black rectangles that resemble bar codes. Can't scan, as I mentioned -- the folder it gets hung up on is nowhere to be found.

Over my head here, but can't afford to give up!

Thanks for listening,

Rian

loxs

loxs

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Rian,
I wouldn't try to delete them........

To be sure I understand you ................ You have 1 hard drive that is partitioned to have two drive letters-- C: and D: and your cdrom is E: ...Is this correct?

OR........ Do you have two seperate hard drives?? If so...... Hard drive D: should not have any files from a previous OS (computer) This is not good. If this is the case....Format D: before doing anything else, when formatting is finished, you can then safely move your personal files (music, pictures, videos, letters, etc) to D: before formatting your C: drive.

Either way.... You will probably want to format your D: drive first.

Which windows 98 CD do you have? Is it an upgrade CD or a restore CD that came with your computer?

If it is a restore CD, it should have everything you need to do a clean install of windows ...If you have upgraded any of your hardware (ie..Modem, video card)you will need the drivers that came with them.

If your windows98 CD is an upgrade CD, You will need the CD that came with your computer before formatting.
Then you can re-install windows with the CD that came with your computer and then upgrade to 98 with the upgrade CD.

***Remember..... formatting erases everything, so be sure you have the files you want to keep in a safe place before doing a format***

loxs

Edited by loxs, 15 November 2005 - 06:14 PM.