Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mass storage controller

• Please log in to reply

johnb44

johnb44

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a HP dv 4000 lap top with a 1.7 processor 1 gig of ram and windows XP I bought it used and reinstalled windows from scratch reinstalled all drivers and reloaded all programs I keep getting a mass storsge controller error I can find nothing on the HP website for this driver any help would be appreciated

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Are you using a generic XP disk, or did you get the disks that came with the machine? Have you looked in Device Manager to see information on the controller? If you can find what make and model the controller is you may be able to get drivers from the maker's website.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
HP dv 4000 laptop Mass Storage
8th Nov-2005

The [Mass storage device] - - - Looks as if you have a [Memory Card Reader] installed – It is probably connected to Internal USB – The Drivers should be on Service Pack 1 or 2 - - - What Service Pack did you Install –

To find out about SP Installation & to open [Device Manager]:

1-Right Click [My Computer]
2-Open [Properties]
3-Click [General] Tab – It will list Facts about PC –[OS] [OS Version] [SP] [Product Key] [CPU] [RAM]

To Open [Device Manager]
4-Click [Hardware] Tab – Click on [Device Manager]

You probably need to [Enable] USB in the BIOS & probably need to [Disable] ACPI in Bios – to keep Laptop from turning the Device OFF –

[ACPI]
(Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) A power management specification developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft that makes hardware status information available to the operating system. ACPI enables a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for improved power management especially in portables.

You need to open [Device Manager] & View your Devices – Expand the USB Section & View what USB Host Controller Interface you have – You should have USB Mass Storage Device listed –

Click on Link below – Download Free Home Edition of [EVEREST] – this is a good PC Analyzer Tool –
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

Browse thru & expand Folders to learn about Laptop

Now you should be able to Post your problem with more details – and we will be able to help you more -

Here is a Good Review of Laptop that has some good data
http://www.notebookr...asp?newsID=2345

Jack123

johnb44

johnb44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes I am using the original disc and it is under other devices not USB and there it shows no driver

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
HP dv 4000 laptop Mass Storage – (2)
11th Nov-2005

Verify if PC has a [Photo Card Reader Port/s] – and what Service Pack is Installed –

OK- Here is a Routine that will permit [Device Manager] to view [Non Present Devices] – This will permit [Device Manager] to report a History of [Installed Devices] & Devices that failed installation process

Preparation Process for [DEVICE MANAGER] to View [Non Present Devices] – This is a 2 Step process that
needs to be done only once –

Step – 1 Set [Folder Options] to [Show Hidden Files & Folders]
Step – 2 Set [Device Manager] to [Show Non Present Devices]

Step – 1 Open [Control Panel] and set [Folder Options] to show [Hidden Files & Folders] – (1 time process)

(1) – Click [Start] Button
(2) – Scroll up to [SETTINGS] > Click on [CONTROL PANEL]
(3) – Open [Folder Options]
(4) – Click on [VIEW] Tab
(5) – Scroll down to [Hidden Files & Folders]
(6) – Click the [SHOW HIDDEN FILES & FOLDER] Option
(7) – Deselect OPTION – [Hide Protected OS Files – Recommended]
(8) – Click [OK]
(9) – Close [Control Panel]

Step – 2 Prep [DEVICE MANAGER] to view [Non Present Devices] –( 1 time process)

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER] > Click [PROPERTIES] on Drop Down Menu –
(2) – Click [ADVANCED] Tab – (on System Properties)
(3) – Click [ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES] Tab -
(4) – Under [SYSTEM VARIABLES] Section – Click [NEW] Tab –
(5) – In [NAME] Section – Type – devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
(6) – In [VALUE] Section – Type the number 1
(7) – Close out by Clicking [OK] Tabs – 3 Times – (3 levels/panels to close)
(8) – Click on [START] Button > Then click on [RUN] –
(9) – Type – devmgmt.msc – and then Click [OK] – This will open [DEVICE MANAGER]
(10)– Click [VIEW] on Menu > Click [Show Hidden Devices] on Pop Down Menu –
(11) – View [Hidden Devices] – Indicated by Faded Gray Print – (Close when completed) –
(12) – Restart Computer – (To ensure a good [Initial] beginning -

Now Open [Device Manager] in Normal manner & Set [VIEW] options to [SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES]

Standard Process to Open [DEVICE MANAGER] with [Show Hidden Devices] Option set -

(1) – Right Click [MY COMPUTER]
(2) – Browse down [Menu] to [Properties] > Double Click to Open Properties Page
(3) – Click on [HARDWARE] Tab
(4) – Click on [Device Manager] Tab
(5) – Click on [View} on Menu Bar
(6) – **Click on [Show Hidden Files]**
(7) – Expand Folders as reqyired
(8) – You need to double left click or right click each line to reveal additional info
(9) – [Non Present Devices] will be denoted by –(Light/faded gray print)

** Step 6 will have to be set to [Show Hidden Files] on each opening of [Device Manager] **

Now Expand – [Disk Drives] Folder – See what [Device Manager] reports about [Mass Storage] – Also what does it report about [Hard Drive]

Next go to [Universal Serial Bus Controller] Folders – Expand all of these Folders – Double Click or Right Click each line to Open these pages – What does [Device Manager] report now on USB

Next go to [Other Devices] & what is reported now -

Jack123

johnb44

johnb44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes that would be one way to do it but I downloaded everest and that showms what I needed to get the MSC working correctly thanks for your reply